By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
GSU women's soccer upsets Davidson in first round of SoCon tourney
Placeholder Image
DAVIDSON, N.C. –– Heather Smith scored a first-half goal and goalie Lauren Santos made eight saves as the seventh-seeded Georgia Southern Eagles upset the second-seeded Davidson Wildcats 1-0 in the first-round of the 2006 Southern Conference Women's Soccer Tournament at Alumni Stadium on Tuesday evening.         GSU improved to 8-10-1 and will move onto the semifinals to be played on Friday on the campus of Western Carolina. Davidson concluded its season at 11-7-2 and saw its four-game winning streak come to an end. The Wildcats fell to 12-8-2 all-time in the tournament.
    Davidson opened play with three shots, two of them on goal in the first 25 minutes of play, but Georgia Southern held its ground. After the Eagles worked the ball down to the middle of the field on Davidson's side, a foul was called on the ’Cats, setting up a free kick for GSU in the 37th minute.
    Mallory Springfield, Heather Smith and another Eagle player all set up around the ball to take the kick. Springfield ran at the ball, tapped it over to Smith, who blasted a 20-yard shot that just went over the head and outstretched arms of freshman goalie Loring Ward, while clipping the top bar and finding the back of the net for the first and only goal of the game.
    The score stayed that way despite the Wildcats coming out in a full-force attack after halftime. Davidson maintained possess of the ball and field advantage the majority of the second half, getting off 15 shots to zero for GSU. However, the Wildcats couldn't find the back of the net in time to stop the Eagles from upsetting them.
It's not like the Wildcats didn't get any good looks on their 15 shots. Six of those 15 shots were on goal in the second half and eight of
their 18 total shots in the game were on goal.
    Davidson had three great chances to tie, the last one coming in the final seconds. With 23 seconds remaining on the clock, freshman Suzanne Sittko tried
to pick up her fifth game-winner when she broke free and went one-on-one with the goalie, but her shot went just wide, ending the Wildcats season.
    Ward suffered her first defeat in goal as she registered one save. Davidson won in the shot column, 18-3, and finished the year with a record of 10-3-2 when outshooting opponents.
    The contest marked the final games for the Wildcats' six seniors, Cameron Hardesty, Jessica Lahre, Anne Stevens, Amanda Traver, Heidi Wilbrandt and Maggie Womack.
    Georgia Southern moves onto the semifinals where it will battle Furman, who defeated Appalachian State 4-0 Tuesday night, on Friday at 4:30 p.m.

Scoring Summary
37:32 GSU Heather Smith (Mallory Springfield)