Note: The following is one of a series of articles looking at events in the history of Bulloch County.
Bulloch settler Adam Eirick planned to drain 8,000 acres of swampy land and convert it to “truck farming.” Iric Station was a stop on the Savannah & Statesboro Railroad, several miles northeast of Iric.
Part of “the Briar Patch,” the village of Ivanhoe was located 24 miles southeast of Statesboro. Ivanhoe was one of the first stage coach stops. Later, it became a stop on the Cuyler & Woodburn Railroad line.
The town was named by William Cone, owner of the Ivanhoe Plantation, after Walter Scott’s book “Ivanhoe.” The postmasters here were William and Clisby Cone. Jay was 10 miles southwest of Shearwood.
Jay’s postmaster was Moses McElveen. Jerome was located southeast of Millray. Jerome’s postmasters were Benjamin Sharpe and William Thompson.
The town of Jimps was six miles southwest of Statesboro on the Dover & Dublin Railroad line. In 1900, Jimps had a population of 81, and was probably was named after Jimmerson Kennedy, its first postmaster.
Others say it was named after Jimps Olliff. Two other postmasters were William Corey and Frank Olliff. Jones’ Church was established in 1776 by Drury and Nancy Jones.
In 1806, the church was moved to Scull Creek. In 1831, it was renamed the Mount Carmel Church. Then, around 1870, the church was moved again, and re-named Payne's Chapel Church.
The village of Josh, named after Josh Deal, was southwest of Lon. Keel was located between Statesboro and Pretoria Station on the S&S Railway line. Keel’s postmaster was Keel Waters, for whom the town was named.
Ketus was named after Ketus Martin, the son of local resident John Redden. According to Small’s book, the postmasters here were John Martin and Adin Stansell.
Kites Spur was a stop on the Savannah, Augusta, & Northern Railroad. Lanham was located three miles north of Geranium. The post office was opened by William DeLoach.
DeLoach first submitted the names Vadna and then Esther, both of which were rejected, but Lanham was accepted. The town of Laston was 11 miles from Statesboro.
Laston’s postmasters were W. Parrish and J. Brannen. The Beasley’s, Birds, and the Parish's all operated General Stores in Laston. Leefield was settled by Lawrence Lee, who opened a store alongside the Midland Railway line.
Lee’s first two names for his post office, Tomlee and Leeland, were rejected. The name Leefield was accepted. It sat where the Savannah, Augusta & Northern and the Shearwood Railways intersected.
Lily’s postmaster was Alonzo Newton. It was located near Lily Branch, several miles southeast of Dover. Lon was located due west of Adelaide. J. Lanier’s sawmill operation was there.
Lucetta’s postmaster was Viola Adams, who served as the postmaster of Olney once the Lucetta Post Office closed. Ludovic sat five miles north of Arcola, the nearest railroad station on the S&S Railway.
Some documents indicate Ludovic's residents became part of the town of Rufus. The village of Mill Creek sat along Belchers Creek (or Belcher's Mill Creek).
Located north of Grimshaw and east of Statesboro, it was a stop on the Midland Railway line. Originally a stagecoach-stop called Mill Ray, located northeast of Statesboro.
Millray opened the second post office in Bulloch, at E. Hodges’ General Store. Its postmasters were Hardy and William Hodges. Many believed Mill Ray was named after the S. Miller family.
Mitchell Forks was located on Old Highway 67 south of Denmark. The town of Myers had a population of 94 in 1900. It sat alongside Iric Creek, four miles to the northeast of Pulaski.
The community of Nellwood eventually became the town of Brooklet, was located east of Statesboro. The postmasters were John Cromley and Robert Southwell.
The Nevils Post Office, opened in 1899, had two postmasters: George Strange and John Nessmith. When the Shearwood Railway line reached the town, the Nevils Post Office re-opened.
Jake Nevils sold 174 acres to the Shearwood Railway for $1 so the railway could build its depot and line. The Shearwood Railway carried area school children to and from the Brooklet High School.
Once the Sherwood put on passenger cars, local residents could also book excursions from Nevils all the way to Tybrissa Pavilion on Tybee Island. John Nessmith built the first General Store in Nevils.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history who provides a brief look each week at the area's past. Email him at email@example.com.