By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
In-state rival takes down Tormenta
Statesboro club still in search of first ever victory
soccer web
Tormenta FC forward Kieran Roberts goes airborne on a slide tackle by Peachtree City MOBA defender Jack Coulton during second half action Friday at Eagle Field. Tormenta put up a good fight against its in-state rival, but came up on the short end of a 1-0 decision an is still looking for its first win in franchise history. - photo by SCOTT BRYANT/staff

    A passing South Georgia thunderstorm held up Friday's planned festivities for nearly 90 minutes before Peachtree City MOBA rained on Tormenta FC's parade.
    Statesboro's upstart Premier Development League franchise put on a solid effort, but couldn't quite keep up with its in-state fellow first-year franchise, falling 1-0 at a soggy and steamy Eagle Field.
    Both sides traded scoring chances throughout the game and the action remained intense — if not a bit chippy — for the full 90 minutes. The teams were even at 0-0 through the first half, and a goal by Iain Smith at the 68-minute mark held up for the visitors from the Atlanta area.
    With the loss, Tormenta FC dropped to 0-2-1 on its inaugural season. In addition to its first win, the club is still in search of its first goal after three matches.
    Despite the lack of scoring, Tormenta did display some offensive aggression, especially early in the contest. A quick surge earned Tormenta a corner kick just over a minute into action, but nothing came of the chance and Tormenta netted just one more corner the rest of the way.
    As the sides jockeyed for an edge in the first half, Peachtree MOBA seemed certain to put itself in front.
    Tormenta defenders were too agressive on a ball played into the box and fouled a Peachtree player.
    Awarded a penalty kick, MOBA's Bryson Asher aimed low and to the left side of the net, only to be snuffed out by Tormenta keeper Anton Widen. Bouncing back to his feet, Widen also prevented a rebound shot attempt, ensuring that the game remained scoreless into halftime.
    When play resumed, the struggle continued. Both sides displayed the ability to hold the ball and threaten, but couldn't find an open shot.
    Peachtree subbed Smith into the game in the 60th minute and was rewarded for the move minutes later as he found the back of the net.
    Salomon Lorenzano held the ball on the far right side before lofting in a pass that crossed the face of Tormenta's goal. The cross was redirected into the middle of the field where Smith was able to get his right foot on it and narrowly beat a sprawling Widen for the game's only dent on the scoreboard.
    With its back against the wall, Tormenta nearly rallied.
    Sending more players forward — and having a bit more success with loose balls near midfield — Tormenta was able to uncork a handfull of shots, but most were just off target.
    Forward Kieran Roberts took advantage of one of Tormenta's few  open looks in the 71st minute. Roberts corralled a pass up the middle and created distance from a defender by steering right to the outside of the 18-yard box. He let loose a hard, bouncing shot, but Peachtree goalkeeper Jeremy Booth dove to his right and cleanly snared the attempt.
    Tormenta looked to have one more chance in the waning minutes as they gained possession of a loose ball near the top of the box, but a hard tackle by a MOBA defender went without a whistle. Peachtree City was able to hold for another minute and the game came to an end with Tormenta still seeking its first win.
    Tormenta will get another crack at the win column June 11 as it hosts another home game against SC United Bantams at Eagle Field.