Note: The following is the eighth in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.
Bulloch Countians established the depot of Cuyler on what was first the Savannah and Western Railroad. It was named after Richard R. Cuyler, president of the Central of Georgia Railroad, which owned the Savannah and Western Railroad. Here, many Bulloch residents would come to board trains to Savannah.
In 1902, a through-passenger railway service was established that carried passengers all the way from Statesboro to Savannah without having to transfer at Cuyler.
The community of Davis was located just north of Denmark on what was the Shearwood Railway line.
Also known as Deal, Davis was alongside the Dover and Statesboro Railroad line, between the village of Clito and the town of Statesboro. When the Central of Georgia Railroad took over the line and renamed it the Ogeechee Division, Davis/Deal was no longer a scheduled stop.
Located south of Portal on the Portal-Metter Highway, the village of DeLoach named Alexander L. and Arnold DeLoach as postmasters.
Denmark, or Denmark Station as it was called by locals, is located on Highway 67 at the Nevils-Denmark and Brooklet-Denmark highway intersections.
In 1912, John N. Shearouse decided to build his railroad through this area as it passed through Nevils heading northeast toward Egypt in Effingham County, across the Ogeechee River.
Landowner John C. Denmark sold Shearouse the land he needed for the railway after Shearouse promised to build a depot there. Although Jake Nevils tried to have the depot named Lorene, after his daughter, the locals didn't approve, so it became known as Denmark Station.
All that is known about the town of DeWitt is that according to the book written by Richard E. Small entitled “The Post Offices of Georgia, 1764–1900,” the postmaster there was L. F. Wood.
The settlement of Dink was located halfway between Adabelle and Register.
A village that reported a population of 64 in 1900, Dock was located seven miles west of Portal, which was the nearest railroad station. The postmaster there was William D. Woods.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at email@example.com.