By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen: Post offices open in dozens of Bulloch communities
roger allen color Web
Roger Allen

    Note: The following is one of a series of columns looking at the establishment of the postal system in the nation, southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.

 

    The Georgia branches which sold the most postage in 1825 were Savannah ($10,814.24) and Augusta ($9,261.64). Georgia’s then state capital, Milledgeville, had the third highest sales ($2,489.26).

    Reports from towns around Bulloch showed much smaller sales: Birdsville ($64.23); Statesboro ($25.46); Swainsboro ($28.82); and Waynesboro ($353.55).

Post offices continued to be established in Southeast Georgia. The document “Table of Post Offices in the United States” (1846), prepared by Postmaster General Cave Johnson, tells the tale.

    Screven County had eight post offices. Other’s included Eden in Bryan County; Reform and Springfield in Effingham County; Statesborough in Bulloch County; and the Swainsborough Court House in Emanuel County.

    Tremayne’s “Table of the Post-Offices” (1850) also listed the post offices in “Bullock County.” They were Mill Ray, with postmaster Hardy B. Hodges; and Statesboro, with postmaster Allen Waters.

    A decade later, Adiel Sherwood’s “A Gazetteer of Georgia” (1860), listed three post offices in Bulloch County. They were located in Bengal, Mill Ray and Statesboro.

    More new post offices opened in Bulloch County. In the 1870s there were Wright's Bridge, Red Branch, Ivanhoe and in Haginsville. In the 1880s there were Blackacre, Blitch, Brag, or Bragg, Clark, De Witt, DeLoach, Enal, Eric, Flatford, Gem, Green, Harville, Laston, Nellwood, Sink and Zoar. 

    Then, in the 1890s and 1900s, more post offices opened in Aaron, Arlene, Black, Bloys, Brooklet, Callie, Carlos, Clito, Dock, Echo, Emit, Equip, Esla and Fly.

    They were also opened in Herschel, Hubert, Iric, Jerome, Jimps, Lilly, Lon, Ludovic, Myers, Nevils, Parrish, Portal, Proctor, Register, Requisite, Rufus, Sam, Shearwood, Siko, Snap, Star, Stilson, Swamp and in Vons.

    The “Official Postal Guide” (1911) listed the post offices open (and if they had them, the number of rural routes they served). They were opened in Aaron, Arcola, Blitch (one), Brooklet, Clito, Grimshaw, Hubert, Ivanhoe, Jimps (one), Lucetta, Metter (two), Parish, Portal, Pulaski (one), Register (two), Statesboro (seven) and Stilson (two).

    Even more new post offices opened in Bulloch County. They were opened in Adabelle, Adelaide, Essie Lee (or Essielee), Geranium, Jay, Keel, Ketus, Lanham, Ludovic, Omie, Rose Lane (Roselane) and Waters.

    According to post office records, the last four post offices to open in Bulloch County were Olney in 1912, Colfax in 1913, Collegeboro in 1928 and Leefield in 1920.

 


            Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. Email Roger at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter