Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at the founding and general history of southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.
In Hugh McCall's "History of Georgia: Containing Brief Sketches of the Most Remarkable Events up to the Present Day, 1784" (1811), it is stated that on May 20, 1733, Oglethorpe signed a treaty with the headmen of the Lower Creeks Native American tribe.
This treaty gave title to the colony of Georgia's trustees "for all the lands between Savannah and Alatamaha (or Altamaha) rivers, extending west to the extremity of the tide water, and including all the islands on the coast from Tybee to St Simons."
The headmen didn’t give up all their land. They kept "the islands of Ossabaw, Sapeloe and St Catherines, for the purposes of hunting, bathing and fishing...(and) the land between Pipe-maker's bluff and Pallychuckola creek...for an encampment."
In what is now Bulloch County was the site known as "Five Points," where local Indian chiefs met for tribal councils. Today, in Bulloch County, the intersections of Langston Chapel, Harville and Burkhalter roads mark this spot.
There were two different places in Bulloch County known as the "Indian Bluffs." Curiously, both sites overlooked the banks of the Ogeechee River. The most important of these two was called "Sculls Bluff."
"Scull’s Bluff," named after a local settler, sat 270 feet above the river, and was known for its steep face that dropped sharply down to the riverbank.
In fact, it was here gEN. Oglethorpe crossed the Ogeechee at Sculls Bluff when traveling the Mount Pleasant Indian Path on his way to Coweta Town for his regular meetings with the Indian chiefs and headmen.
In fact, Oglethorpe wrote of passing through herds of buffalo as he crossed the Bulloch County border area accompanied by his force of the King's Rangers.
There were several other major Indian trails as well: the "King’s Road Indian Trail" trading route started at Savannah, proceeded south to the Alatamaha River (or Altamaha) at Fort Barrington in Darien, and then meandered all the way down to Saint Mary's.
The "Lower Creek Trading Path" was one of two Indian trails that connected Georgia's Indian settlements to the main Creek lands. It meandered from Augusta to the Chattahoochee River.
The "Mount Pleasant Indian Path" began at the Indian town of Tuckasseeking (or Tuckasee King) on the Savannah River. It crossed the Ogeechee River at Oliver and entered Bulloch County.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at email@example.com.