Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at how Georgia and Bulloch County evolved from wilderness into a state and a county.
Following Georgia's establishment as a colony, several outposts to provide some security were established in Southeast Georgia.
Fort King George: At first an earthen fort with a three-story, 26-square-foot cypress blockhouse located at the junction of the Oconee and Ocmulgee rivers, this fort was the southernmost point of Britain's North American colonies. Destroyed by fire in 1726, it was rebuilt in 1727.
Fort August (later Fort Cornwallis): This fort was orginally named after the wife of the prince of Wales. Gen. Oglethorpe negotiated the Treaty of 1763 with the Creeks and Cherokees here. The British later renamed the fort after Maj. Gen. Charles Cornwallis. It was on Kinyan's Bluff near the Savannah River.
Fort Delegal (or Delegal's Fort; later Fort St. Simons): Built by the South Carolina Militia at the south end of St. Simon's Island, Oglethorpe later erected Fort St. Simons at the site to guard the entrance to Jekyll Sound.
Fort Frederica: Built by the British on St. Simon's Island, Fort Frederica was surrounded by the marshes of the Altamaha River. Oglethorpe stationed his own men, the soldiers of the 42nd Regiment of Foot, here, where they defeated invading Spanish forces in the Battle of Jenkin's Ear in 1742.
Fort New Inverness (later Fort Darien): At first an earthen fort, when Scot settlers founded the town of New Inverness (later named Darien) in 1736, they built a larger fortification at the site, with two bastions and two half-bastions, armed with four guns.
Fort Prince George: This fort was built near the Cherokee town of Keowee on the Savannah River. Its commander, Capt. Coytmore, signed a peace treaty with the Cherokees in December 1759 that required 32 American Indian warriors to remain at the fort as hostages. Eventually, the captain was killed, the hostages massacred, and an all-out war consumed the countryside.
Fort St. Andrew: This fort protected the Barrimacke village on the north coast of Cumberland Island. Two companies of Oglethorpe's men garrisoned what became his headquarters. Here, troops from the British possession of Gibraltar attempted mutiny but were arrested and shot.
Fort Mount Venture: Built on the Altamaha River, this fortified trading post was operated by Jacob and Mary Mathews and garrisoned by Georgia's colonial militia. The fort was attacked and destroyed in November 1742 by a party of Yamasee American Indians.
Fort Wimberly: Savannah's Treasurer Thomas Jones was allotted some 28 British pounds for the "building of a guard house on Pine Island near Skidaway Narrows" in order to protect properties like the Wormsloe Plantation of Capt. Noble Jones.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. Email Roger at firstname.lastname@example.org.