By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Devils overcome elements, Glynn to win 19-16 in OT
091407 SHS GLYNN 01web
Statesboro High tight end Sherrod Natson hauls in a pass from quarterback Luke Connell and outruns the Glynn Academy defense for a touchdown in the first quarter of Friday's rain-delayed game.

            Marcus White's 4-yard touchdown run gave Statesboro a 19-16 win in overtime, as the Blue Devils, somehow, some way knocked off Glynn Academy Friday night in a wet-n-wild affair at Womack Field.

            After the SHS (2-0, 1-0) defense forced a Glynn field goal in the first overtime possession, the Devils, starting from GA's 15, picked up a first down, then handed the ball to White, who split the Red Terror defense and found the end zone.

            "I got to get this — I got to get it," said White when told in the huddle he would get the chance to score the game-winner. "We went to overtime and we said, 'We got to buckle down, we got to get this one.'"

            After the kickoff and three GA (2-1, 0-1) plays, lightning forced an hour-and-a-half delay. Play didn't resume until 9:03 p.m., and that's when Statesboro came back out of the locker rooms an put 10 straight points on the Terrors.

            Luke Connell took Statesboro's third offensive play, play-actioned and rolled to his left and found a wide open Sherrod Natson streaking down the sideline for a 66-yard score.

            Statesboro forced a three-and-out, then drove to GA's five giving freshman Caleb Brown a chance for a 22-yard field goal. It wasn't pretty, but it was true, and SHS took a 10-0 lead.

            The Terrors would respond immediately with a 50-yard field goal by Brett Bearden. After SHS stalled, Glynn would drive 12 plays and 65 yards over 6:43 to tie the game at 10. Jarre Hall took a speed sweep around left end, spun, and fumbled at the goal line, but David Bailey was there to recover the ball in the end zone.

            After a scoreless third, Glynn took its first lead on a 51-yard field goal by Bearden, sending the Glynn sideline into a frenzy.

            Statesboro's Brown would pick up the Devils once again, booting a 36-yarder of his own to tie the game at 13 with 7:04 left in the game.

            Glynn had three chances to win with under a minute to go, but after both teams jumped offsides on consecutive plays, the third and final snap was botched and the Devils made the tackle for a loss to force overtime.

            Statesboro will welcome Wayne County next Friday for a 7:30 p.m. kick.