By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Making lemonade for a cause
Brooklet girl helps fire victim
lemonweb
Ragan Locke, left, and friend Lauren Hardin sold lemonade to help a house fire victim. - photo by Special

It wasn’t just any old lemonade stand Ragan Locke set up on Bell Road last week; she was raising money for a neighbor who lost his home to a house fire.
Jeremy Moire’s home was totally destroyed May 22. He said they suspect “something that was smoldering” from a brush fire two days earlier reignited, and consumed his shed, pole barn and home.
In a compassionate move, 11-year-old Locke, who will attend seventh grade classes at Southeast Bulloch Middle School in the fall, decided to set up shop to raise money for Moir.
“I had insurance but she asked me if she could do it and I said yes,” he said. “I knew it would make her feel good to help somebody.”
Lock and her friend, 11-year-old Lauren Hardin, sold ice cold lemonade, chewy cake, pound cake slices and cookies last Saturday at the brightly decorated stand on Bell Road, raising $180 to help Moir, who lost everything in the fire.
People stopped for the cool refreshments and asked questions about the girls’ endeavor, Locke said.
“I was just glad to go out there and do it,” she said. “It made me feel really good that I did that. I’m glad I put a smile on his face.”
Locke’s mother, Melissa McGowan, said she and Moir’s family grew up knowing each other, having been neighbors for years. She said the girls had a great location for the stand, as Bell Road, “off Mud Road, has a lot of traffic.”
“It was nice of her to make an effort to help,” Moir said.
Bulloch County firefighters and Georgia Forestry Commission employees responded May 19 to the brush fire near his house, and cut fire breaks to help ensure the flames were extinguished and would not spread, he said.
Still, he believes something unseen that was still smoldering caught back up and burned his shed first, then his pole barn. The home caught fire next and all was destroyed, he said.
Holli Deal Bragg may be reached at (912) 489-9414.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter