By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Double crash injures four
Georgia State Patrol patch web

A man and woman were airlifted to Savannah Thursday, Dec. 5 after two consecutive crashes on Hwy. 67. Two others suffered injury as well.

According to Georgia State Patrol Post 45 reports, which were unavailable until Wednesday, the first crash took place around 6:27 p.m. on Highway 67 near Burkhalter Road.  Madison Mitchell, 19, of Castlewood Parkway in Columbus, was driving a 2016 Ford Fusion when she pulled from a private drive onto Highway 67, entering the path of a 1996 Chevrolet 1500 driven by Hughie Tankersley, 72, of East Lane Street in Brooklet.

Tankersley’s truck, traveling south, struck the car, which came to rest in a ditch. Tankersley’s truck was still in the roadway, reports stated.

According to a social media post by Tankersley’s wife, state Rep. Jan Tankersley, he could not exit the truck due to the door being stuck. He suffered minor injuries from the first crash, but a “friend from Florida,” whom GSP identified as Steven Daughtry, “was not conscious but was breathing with a few cuts from his window shattering on impact.”

Then, Mitchell approached the truck and was telling the men EMS was on the way when the second crash happened, she said.

Troopers say a 2001 Dodge Ram driven by Hayward Hollis, 22, of Hickory Bluff Road in Brooklet, struck Tankersley’s truck, which was still in the roadway. It is unclear which vehicle struck Mitchell, who was still standing beside Tankersley’s truck.

Both Daughtry and Mitchell were taken by Air Evac to Memorial Hospital in Savannah. GSP spokespersons were unable to provide information Wednesday on their conditions.

Ms. Tankersley said her husband suffered abrasions, knee injuries and other ailments caused by the second wreck, while Daughtry showed “massive facial injuries.”

Both Tankersley and an unidentified passenger in Mitchell’s car were taken by EMS to East Georgia Regional Medical Center. Tankersley was released, hut later returned to the hospital after losing consciousness shortly after arriving home, his wife said. He was released again Friday.

Hollis was reportedly uninjured.

A trooper issued Mitchell a warning for failure to yield at a stop sign, and a citation to Tankersley for expired tag, reports stated.


Herald reporter Holli Deal saxon may be reached at 912-489-9414.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter