Note: The following is the sixth in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.
The community of Bloys was located northeast of Metter when it was settled in what was then Bulloch near the headwaters of Lotts Creek.
It became famous in some circles when the shrub “Elliottia Racemosa” — a Labrador Tea plant named after Dr. Stephen Elliott, author of “The Botany of South Carolina and Georgia” — was re-discovered in the early 19th century by botanist Roland M. Harper, who came to visit local resident Professor J.W. Hendricks. The town of Bloys, it turns out, was named after Bloys Deal, its first postmaster.
Bowen's Mill was located on Nevils-Daisy Road between the intersection with Nevils-Groveland Road and the intersection of Highway 280 alongside Bowen Lake.
The village of Brag, also spelled Bragg, had a population of 100 in 1900. It was located about seven miles southeast of Statesboro, the site of the nearest railway station. Its postmasters were William A. Waters and George A. Beasley.
The only place Branham's Store is listed apparently is in Marion R. Hemperley's book entitled “Cities, Towns, and Communities.” Some local historians think the name actually may have been a misspelling of “Brannen's Store,” of which there were many scattered throughout Bulloch County.
The town of Brooklet originally was settled as “Black Creek Bill Lee's Place.” By 1900, the community, which was now known as Nellwood, had grown to a population of 180 and was situated nine miles southeast of Statesboro on the Savannah and Statesboro Railway line.
Its first postmaster, Andrew J. Lee, suggested the town be named — in succession — Troy, Leesville, Leeland and then Sunbright before finally have the name Brooklet approved by the postmaster general of the United States. The first post office opened at J.B. Cone and W.C. Parker's store, which they built on one of the lots they had purchased along the new railroad line. There, J.A. Warnock owned a cotton gin, J.N. Shearouse owned a sawmill, and N.J. Wilson owned a general store.
Callie, which may have also been listed as “Gallic” on some maps, was located six miles northeast of Brooklet, halfway between Black and Jerome. The postmaster there was Henry R. Waters.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at email@example.com.