By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History by Roger Allen
Post offices in Bulloch
Placeholder Image
A part of southwestern Bulloch that has a curious history is the area now known as Groveland. The first post office in the area was Fido. It was named after Mrs. James G. Williams’ feisty dog. It opened, and closed, in J.G. Moore’s store in 1899.
It wasn’t long after this post office closed down that residents opened another one (also in 1899), this time named         Euphaupee (pronounced u-faw-pee). They changed the name of the post office again in 1890 with the coming of the Central of Georgia Railroad.
    This time it was called Belknap, named after (depending on who you believe) either Morris Belknap, the superintendent of the Central of Georgia Railroad or the large plantation of that name owned by John Harn Jr.
    The post office was located at James G. Blitch’s general store on the banks of the Canoochie River. It was moved and then renamed again in 1897, becoming Groveland. It shortly thereafter closed, fading into obscurity shortly thereafter.
Another historical curiosity is the legend of Paramore. Originally known as “Indian Bluffs,” this site was located on the Ogeechee River. The western slope of the bluff sits 270 feet above the river, separated from the water by a steep face that drops sharply down to the riverbank.
    Oglethorpe traveled to meet with the Indians at Coweta Town on the Alabama border by crossing the river at this spot. This “Canouchie Path” later became known as the “Ogeechee Trail”, and then “The Capitol Road”, as it went to the state capital of Louisville. Eventually the road was renamed the Old Louisville to Savannah Road, which still exists today.
    Indian Bluffs was renamed Scull’s Creek, and the Scull’s Creek Baptist Church was founded here on land given by the Lane family. It has since become the Hebron Baptist Church but still exists to this day. Scull Creek was made the diving line between Bulloch and Emanuel County.
    Not long thereafter, the area was renamed Paramore Hill of Bluffs. Residents often pronounced it “Perrymore.” When an application was made for a post office in 1883, it was given the name “Parramore.” The Central of Georgia Railroad built a depot here, which they called “Parramore Hill,” which was served by a lumbering operation.
    Another town that has a name whose origin has baffled most historians is that of Stilson. While most people who have an idea hold that the town was named after a Brannen child, the truth is somewhat more complicated.
    According to surviving first person records, the truth is that the town is actually named after Stilson Hutchinson. Mr. Hutchinson was instrumental in getting the new Savannah and Statesboro Railroad to pass through this area, even going so far as to obtain right-of-ways from local residents.
    The area was quite logically named Stilson after him in 1899. When resident William J. Strickland, who had purchased land in this area in 1870, built a handsome home in the own, he applied for a post office (through the Iric Post Office) to be called Stilson.
    When W.J. Strickland’s first grandson was born to the eldest child of J.E. Brannen and Ida Strickland Brannen, he too was named after Stilson Hutchinson. And that is the rest of that story.

    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look at Bulloch County's historical past. E-mail Roger at roger
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter