Note: The following is one of a series of articles looking at events in the history of Bulloch County.
Metter sat along the Central of Georgia’s “Dover to Dublin.” or “Oconee” Branch,” of the Central of Georgia Railroad line, located 12 miles east of Stillmore.
Elijah Trapnell ran a sawmill near Yam Gandy Creek. His wife and son bought a large plot of land that sat on the Old Sunbury Road. Around their house arose the settlement of Metter.
Algerine Trapnell served as the “acting” mayor of Metter. He was replaced by Capt. Daniel Leonard Kennedy who was the first elected mayor of Metter.
Kennedy assembled 50 men, and became the captain of Company G, the “Tattnall Invincibles,” of the 47th Georgia Infantry, who fought with the Army of the Tennessee.
James Terrell Trapnell is believed to have laid out the basic city plan in 1899. Soon, people started talking about establishing a post office in their new town.
There is a story that a Dublin Railroad official told a Central of Georgia executive whom he met at the train depot, that this was “where he met her,” referring to his future wife.
Records show that Dr. Daniel Kennedy, whose family owned the Tatum Hotel, and his wife, Abbicilla, had submitted two names for a post office: Meadow and Leonard, Daniel’s middle name.
Apparently, the post office misread the application, and chose Metter instead. Metter was incorporated on Aug. 17, 1903, with just over 100 residents.
Metter’s businesses included the F.H. Perkins and the Sheridan and Perkins sawmills; Benjamin Parrish and W. Jones’s General Stores; and a supply store run by L. Roundtree.
The Bulloch Times issue of March 23, 1905 identified Bulloch County’s 45th Militia District as being in Metter. Metter’s justice of the peace was G.R. Trapnell.
The Bulloch Times of April 20, 1905 announced “Hustling Metter. A town that is rapidly growing, and wants to be a county seat. In a quiet way her people are working for a new county with Metter as its capital.”
The article continued, “Not only does Metter already boast a good number of churches, stores, hotels, and other public houses, but her conveniences are rapidly increasing, and is well worthy of the position of capital.”
“Two churches in the heart of town provide gathering places for the religiously inclined, and Metter has no other kinds of citizens; and the Metter Institute provides accommodations for 160 pupils.”
“Over this institution presides Professor Hamlin Ethridge, assisted by Misses Isabel Hollingsworth and Pauline Hart. There is need for a better and larger building, and it will soon be forthcoming.”
What’s more, “an enterprise just now beginning is the new health resort (of) Hiawatha Springs, a short distance from Metter. Dr. W.D. Kennedy and Messrs., W.J. Willis and N.B. Trapnell are the principal promoters.”
On May 11, 1905, the Bulloch Times reported “a Big Meeting Held at Court House Yesterday. Mayor Johnston warned, “the people of Metter (want) a new county created from Bulloch, Emanuel, and Tattnall counties.”
Johnston declared “it is high time for us...to prevent the dismemberment of Bulloch.” The Hon. J.J.E. Anderson, Hon. T.B. Thorn, and Hon. H.B. Strange (agreed to oppose) the movement.”
Daniel’s son Wallace spearheaded the effort to convince the state legislature choose Metter for the county seat. He was aided by Eugenia Candler, wife of former Georgia Gov. Allen Candler.
When it came to creating Candler County in 1914, Metter was selected to be the new Candler County seat. Metter’s tax value of $2,729,000, of Bulloch’s entire tax assessment of $17,559,785, would be a serious loss.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history who provides a brief look each week at the area's past. Email him at rwasr1953@gmail.com.