Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at the founding and general history of southeast Georgia and Bulloch County.
Since it was created, there have been 147 populated places in Bulloch County.
The town of Adelaide was located about 5 miles north of Pulaski, the nearest depot on the Bruton and Pineora Railroad. The postmaster was Everette A. Hendrix. Then there was Akin, a community shown on several maps to the north of Green and south of Jimps. This was not the same community as Akins, which is located at the intersection of Arcola Road and Mud Road. Josiah G. Williams and C.B. Johnson were the postmasters.
The next town was Alderman, which was not surprisingly established by the Alderman family, which had acquired some 7,000 acres along Wolfpen Branch near the headwaters of Lotts Creek. The Alderman plantation house, apparently, was located halfway between Watersville and Brooklet on the Shearwood Railway line in the Sink Hole District.
Following this would be the community of Anderson Mill, located on DeLoach Church Road at Anderson Pond, between Nevils-Groveland and Nevils-Daisy Roads.
Another forgotten community was Anita, which was located southwest of Portal and northeast of Bloys. William M. Simmons was postmaster here.
Everyone knows where Arcola is but few know its history. The first name given to the Arcola area was “The Briar Patch,” which was changed by American Revolutionary War compatriot Nicholas Anciaux.
Anciaux was rewarded with 1,200 acres on Mill Creek and decided to rename his new home after the famous Battle of Arcola, which took place when Emperor Napoleon of France crushed the Austrian Empire’s forces in Northern Italy in 1796.
The original Arcola store was opened in 1877, and the postmaster was Samuel E. Groover. There have actually been two Arcola's, with “Old” and “New” Arcola being 7 miles apart.
“New” Arcola had a population of 50 people in 1900. This Arcola is located 13 miles east of Statesboro. The McElveens set up a store and post office in their home, where the last postmaster was William L. McElveen.
Forgotten, however, is the community of Arcola Station — 2 miles to the northeast of Arcola sat the short-lived Arcola Station, which was established alongside the Savannah & Statesboro Railroad line.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at firstname.lastname@example.org.