By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
UPDATE: Statesboro High lockdown over
Sweep of campus finds no threat; 14-year-old in custody
Statesboro Police and Georgia State Patrol troopers are shown in front of Statesboro High School Wednesday morning. Following an unknown safety threat, law enforcement officers were limiting access to the school. A school lockdown ended at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday and access to the school was restored.

A 14-year-old boy is in custody after police said he wrote a note indicating a bomb was inside the school, which resulted in a lockdown at Statesboro High School. No bomb was found.

Capt. Jared Akins with the Statesboro police said a threatening note was discovered in a classroom at the school about 9:15 a.m.

School Principal Keith Wright notified parents and students in an email at 10:24 a.m. about the lockdown and indicated the lockdown may have to be extended through the entire school day.

“This is to investigate a possible safety threat to the school,” Wright said in the email. "Increased law enforcement is on campus.”

Law enforcement officers and vehicles from the Statesboro Police, Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office, Georgia State Patrol and Georgia Southern University Police could be seen monitoring the entry points to the school from Coach Lee Hill Boulevard, Northside Drive and Blue Devil Alley off Fleming Drive.

"Based on the available evidence, district and school administrators made the decision to place the school in lockdown and not evacuate," said Hayley Greene, public relations director for the Bulloch County Schools System.

Akins said K9 units from the Chatham County Sheriff’s Office and the Chatham County Board of Education Police arrived at Statesboro High along with other officers from the Bulloch County Sheriff’s Office, Georgia Southern University Police Department and Georgia State Patrol. 

“A thorough search of the entirety of the high school was conducted with no suspicious devices located,” he said.

Greene said normal school activities resumed about 12:30 p.m.

During the lockdown, Akins said SPD detectives conducted an investigation into the author of the threatening note.

“At the conclusion of the investigation, a 14-year-old male student was arrested and charged with Terroristic Threats and Disrupting a Public School,” Akins said.

The student was transported to the Claxton RYDC pending further judicial action. 

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter