By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Sheriff: Man flees officers; chase ensues
Officer: Suspect apprehended after pursuit; subdued by Taser
Highspeedchase for Web
A van Bulloch County Sheriff's deputies say was driven by Wesley Gene Anderson speeds by Mill Creek Elementary School late Monday afternoon. After a lengthy pursuit, Anderson was forcibly stopped and faces multiple felony charges. - photo by FRANK FORTUNE/special
    A Bulloch County Sheriff’s deputy on his way home Monday ended up working a longer shift than expected when a speeder he tried to stop fled.
    Wesley Gene Anderson ended up behind bars without bond after Sgt. Tracy Miller and several other law enforcement officers stopped him on Burkhalter Road near U.S. 80 East and were forced to break a window in his van in order to arrest him, said Bulloch County Sheriff Lynn Anderson.
    Miller was heading home Monday around 7:15 p.m. when he clocked Wesley Anderson in a white van speeding at 84 miles per hour in a 55 mph zone, said Bulloch County Sheriff Lynn Anderson.
    Miller turned around and pursued Wesley Anderson, who “ignored the sirens and blue lights” and fled, he said.
    Wesley Anderson, 31,  Stanford Drive, “made a circle” as Miller pursued him, heading towards Statesboro on U.S. 80, turning right onto Burkhalter, then continuing to Zettwell Road, where he turned left, the sheriff said.
    Wesley Anderson then turned left again onto Ga. 24, pursued by Miller and several other deputies as he drove recklessly past Mill Creek Regional Park. Witnesses said he was flailing his arms and making obscene gestures as he drove.
    Deputies pursued Wesley Anderson as he turned off Ga. 24 onto Beasley Road, following him as he returned to U.S. 80 and headed east, he said.
    Brooklet Police Sgt. De Hagan, responding to assist Miller and other Bulloch County Sheriff’s deputies, set up a deterrent at the intersection of U.S. 80 East and Burkhalter Road, including “stop sticks,” in preparation for Wesley Anderson’s approach, Sheriff Anderson said.
    Wesley Anderson turned left onto Burkhalter and “veered towards Hagan,” as if he intended to strike him, the sheriff said.
    When Wesley Anderson stopped his van, four deputies  — Miller, Deputy Travis Tuenge, Lt. Neil Casey and Deputy Ross Newman — approached and demanded he exit the vehicle, but he refused, he said.
    One deputy broke a window in order to unlock the van door and Wesley Anderson fought the deputies, forcing them to deploy a Taser to subdue him, he said.
    Miller and Newman suffered minor injuries that required medical attention, and were released after treatment at East Georgia Regional Medical Center, Sheriff Anderson said.
    No one else was injured in the incident.
    Deputies discovered marijuana in the van, and took Wesley Anderson into custody on charges of speeding, aggressive driving, criminal attempt to commit aggravated assault against a peace officer, felony fleeing and attempting to elude police officers, four counts felony obstruction of a police officer.
    Also, marijuana possession, failure to stop at a stop sign, disobedience to a traffic control device, reckless driving, no tag, driving with a suspended license, and seat belt violation.
    Wesley Anderson was taken to the Bulloch County Jail, where he remains without bond, according to jail records.
    Holli Deal Bragg may be reached at (912) 489-9414. 
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter