By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
High speed chase driver 'combative'
Brooklet police Chief Max Meyer: It was a fight, not just a struggle
Cedric Marshall McFadden

A man who caused a four-car crash Wednesday evening in the Denmark community was combative when police arrested him and admitted to having been under the influence of drugs, said Brooklet police Chief Max Meyer.

Two were injured in the wreck.

Cedric Marshall McFadden, 30, who claimed to be homeless but from Savannah and currently staying with a girlfriend in Statesboro, faces several traffic charges after the high-speed chase from within the Brooklet city limits to the intersection of Brooklet-Denmark Road and Highway 67, Meyer said.

Meyer tried to stop McFadden just before 6 p.m. Wednesday because he was driving a white Dodge Neon through Brooklet at 78 mph in a 35 mph zone, he said.

McFadden pulled into the parking lot of Clyde's Market on Highway 80 East but continued driving. Meyer pursued him, with Brooklet police officer Tracy Atkinson joining the chase, as McFadden raced through city streets and private yards at speeds up to 100 mph, he said.

The chase continued onto Brooklet-Denmark Highway. According to radio reports made by Atkinson as she followed McFadden, he tried several times to run oncoming cars off the road, heading toward them as if to cause head-on collisions. He maintained speeds of 100 mph throughout the chase as he approached Highway 67.

At the intersection, McFadden slowed but did not stop and entered the intersection, colliding with a Ford Ranger driven by Nancy Dixon, 61, of Brooklet. The bed was ripped from the truck, which then struck a vehicle driven by Mary Helen Phillips, 71, of Honeydew Lane in Brooklet, said Georgia State Patrol Cpl. Rusty Rankin.

Dixon's truck then collided with a vehicle driven by Fuad Mohammed Alshuiabi, 57, of North Main Street in Statesboro.

Neither Alshuiabi nor Phillips was seriously injured, but Dixon was airlifted by Air Evac to Memorial University Medical Center in Savannah. Rankin said Dixon suffered several broken bones as well as other undisclosed injuries, but they did not appear to be life-threatening.
Dixon's dog, a brown-and-white Jack Russell terrier named Petey, survived the crash but fled the scene. He was found safe and unharmed Thursday, according to friends of the Dixon family.

McFadden was "extremely combative" when police tried to take him into custody, fighting officers inside his car as they tried to handcuff him.

"It was a fight, not just a struggle," Meyer said.

Officers deployed a Taser three times, to no avail. Several officers eventually subdued McFadden, and he was taken to East Georgia Regional Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries before being taken to the Bulloch County Jail, Meyer said.

Rankin said McFadden faces Georgia State Patrol charges including serious injury by vehicle, while Meyer said charges from the Brooklet Police Department include serious injury by vehicle, DUI/drugs, reckless driving, suspended license and fleeing/attempt to elude police.

The case remains under investigation, and further charges are possible, Meyer said.

"It's an absolute shame that someone's personal irresponsibilities end up in someone else getting hurt," he said.

Holli Deal Saxon may be reached at (912) 489-9414.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter