When Janina Jones’ name was picked as the winner of the Statesboro Herald’s first “60-Second Grocery Grab” last year, she knew where she was headed first at Ken’s IGA in Brooklet – the meat department.
“My strategy was to get all the meat I could,” she said.
And she did: Jones filled her shopping cart that day with $557 of meat and frozen food.
The Herald’s second annual Grocery Grab contest begins today and offers readers a chance to pile all the groceries they can into a shopping cart in 60 seconds. Ken’s IGA on Highway 80 East in Brooklet once again will be the site of the actual grab. An entry form is on page 15 inside today’s Herald and will be printed about three times a week in the newspaper between now and August 20.
You can enter as often as you like, but only original entry forms will be accepted. See the form for all the details and rules of the contest. One winner will be picked each week during the five weeks of the contest, and the five lucky people selected will gather Saturday, August 29 at Ken’s, where one will be drawn as the winner of the 60-second grab. The other four will receive $25 gift certificates from Ken’s.
Entry forms can be dropped off at the Herald office in downtown Statesboro or Ken’s IGA. Forms can be mailed to the Herald office, as well.
“We really appreciate Ken’s allowing us to use their store again for the Grab,” Healy said. “We thought this would be a popular contest, and we received almost 1,000 entries last year. I’m looking for double that number this year. I also think the winner can top the $557 worth of groceries last year’s winner packed in her cart.”