By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire guts couple's home Monday
030810 GRADY ST FIRE 04 web
David Lanier comforts fiance Christy Pallay as firefighters work to control a fire at their residence on East Grady Street Monday. - photo by SCOTT BRYANT/staff

Video at scene of fire

Click on link:

http://statesboroherald.com/multimedia/1068/

A cigarette tossed into a trash can in an East Grady Street home was the cause of a blaze Monday afternoon that gutted one side of the duplex and caused heavy smoke damage in the other side, said Capt. Emerson Melton,  Statesboro Fire investigator. 

Christy Pallay and David Lanier, tenants of the home near the Statesboro Regional Library, were not home when  the fire broke out and no one was injured, he said.  However, two pet cats died in the fire.

 

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter