By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen - Candler County created in 1914
roger allen colorWeb
Roger Allen

    Note: This is the second in a series of columns about the origin of the counties that surround Bulloch County.

    Candler County is Georgia’s 48th county. The constitutional amendment to create Candler was proposed July 14, 1914 and ratified Nov. 3, 1914. The county was carved out using parts of Bulloch, Emanuel and Tattnall counties.
    Several Bulloch County towns then became part of the new county, the most important being Metter, which at the time of separation produced one-quarter of Bulloch County’s revenue. Other towns included Parrish, Pulaski and Queen.
    Candler County is one of only 25 Georgia counties that still have the same boundaries assigned at the time of their formation. One of the state’s smaller counties, Candler has a total area of 249 square miles, of which 247 square miles are dry land and 2 square miles are covered by water.
    The county was named for Georgia Gov. Allen D. Candler (1834-1910). Candler spent a great deal of his retirement years compiling the state's Colonial, Revolutionary and Confederate records.
    The county seat of Candler is Metter, and the county courthouse, built in 1921, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. 
    Two other buildings were listed on the National Register in 2002: the Candler County Jail and the old Metter High School. The Candler jail, a two-story brick building constructed in 1916, was built to serve as both a jail and living quarters for the county sheriff. The old Metter High School was built in 1910 and later purchased by the Candler County Historical Society for museum purposes.
    The Metter Advertiser is said to be the only newspaper in the United States ever to have been owned and published by a municipality.
    Metter is home to the Guido Evangelical Association, familiar to radio and television audiences worldwide for its "Seeds from the Sower" programs. The Guidos' prayer chapel and garden are open to the public.
    In the Bulloch County Superior Court minutes of 1898-1901, D.L. Trapnell, W.R. Sykes and O.R. Waters requested the name of the town be Metter and its boundaries be five-ninths of a mile in a circle from the depot of the Bruton & Pineora Railroad.

    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter