By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Cat believed dead in fire Monday is alive and well
Cigarette in trash caused fire that gutted couples home
Placeholder Image

    A cat believed to have been killed in an East Grady Street house fire Monday is alive and well. Angel has a burned paw and singed tail, and may have used up one of his nine lives, but owners Christie Palley and her fiancee David Lanier were pleased to find the cat survived the blaze that gutted their home.
    "Angel has his own set of wings," Palley said Tuesday.
    A cigarette tossed into a trash can apparently was not extinguished well, and caused the blaze that destroyed one half of a duplex and caused major smoke damage to the other side, according to Statesboro Fire investigator Capt. Emerson Melton.
    Palley, who is six months pregnant, said they lost everything in the fire.
    "People have been calling trying to find out where to donate," she said, but staff at the hotel where they are staying did not know what to tell callers, she said.
    The American Red Cross Bulloch County chapter has helped them, providing lodging at Baymont Inn until Thursday, then after that they will stay at Quality Inn, where Lanier works, she said.
    Expressing appreciation, Palley said callers can contact them in Room 411 at Baymont Inn (489-7368) until Thursday, then at Quality Inn at 489-3995.
    Donations can be left in care of Quality Inn owner Per Hulsey, she said.
    As for Angel, he will be fine, Palley said. "Best Friends Animal Hospital is treating him free."
    There are still two strays that lived underneath her home, who need homes, she said. "I don't want them to go to the animal shelter."


Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter