Note: The following is one of a series of columns looking at places and events of interest in Bulloch County history.
In 1893, James Miller bought The Bulloch Times. Miller then bought the old printing press of The Highland Star of Highland, North Carolina, which he then moved to Statesboro.
After the Turners bought The Bulloch Times from Miller, who started The Statesboro Star two months later. In 1897, the Turners decided to call it quits, and sold The Bulloch Times to T.A. MacGregor, who shortly thereafter suspended publication.
In 1901, Editor James Miller decided to rename The Statesboro Star to The Statesboro News, but he also soon suspended publication shortly thereafter. The Turners then started printing The Bulloch Herald, which was for the next four years Bulloch County’s only newspaper.
In 1905 D.B. Turner decided to once again restart The Bulloch Times. He bought new printing presses, and set up an office at the corner of Olliff and West Main.
In 1914, The Statesboro News suspended publication, and is sold at public auction to Miller in 1915. Miller, in turn, began publishing The Statesboro News.
The Statesboro News was merged with The Bulloch Times, after Miller sold it to the Turners. In 1917, the Turners then bought The Statesboro Star, adding it to his newspapers, The Statesboro News and The Bulloch Times.
By 1920, James and Frank Miller had purchased The Statesboro Eagle, The Bulloch Times, and The Statesboro News. They immediately combined all three newspapers into one: The Bulloch Times.
Then, in 1920, J. Shields Kenan, owner of the Kenan Publishing Company, bought The Bulloch Times, which he then began publishing at his printing plant.
The students at Georgia Normal School, meanwhile, begin their first publication, named Station GNS in 1924. This paper was replaced by The Reflector in 1926, and then by The George-Anne in 1927.
On March 26, 1937, the Coleman family started publication of The Bulloch Herald. Leodel Coleman was the editor, G.C. Jr. was the associate editor, and Jim was the advertising director.
The first three issues of the paper were printed at The Swainsboro Forest Blade and the fourth edition was printed by The Vidalia Advance. In 1939, the Colemans bought The Banner Publishing Company, and moved the newspaper to the Banner Building in Statesboro.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at firstname.lastname@example.org.