By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Shooting update: No id's yet on suspect, or deputies involved in shooting
GBI awaiting notification of family

              The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is not yet releasing the identity of a man shot Monday night near the Bulloch/Bryan county line by deputies serving a bench warrant.
        Bill Bodrey, special agent-in-charge of the Region 5 GBI office in Statesboro, said Tuesday he is withholding the name of the 52-year-old man out of courtesy for families involved. The identities of two Effingham County Sheriff's deputies and a Bulloch County Sheriff's deputy involved in the shooting will also be temporarily withheld for the same reasons, he said.
        Bodrey said the Bulloch County Sheriff's Office requested assistance from the GBI around 11:15 p.m., half an hour after the shooting that occurred around 10:45 p.m. Monday.
        The Bulloch County Sheriff's deputy was assisting the two Effingham County Sheriff's deputies in serving a bench warrant at a home off Hwy. 80 and Hwy. 119, near Olney Station Road in the Ellabell community, he said.
        Reasons for the bench warrant were not immediately available.
        "When deputies made contact with the 52-year-old subject at his residence, the individual fled on foot, to an abandoned mobile home located behind his residence," he said. "Deputies pursued the subject to the mobile home, where he was reportedly observed with a long gun pointed at the officers.
        "The subject was instructed to drop the gun, but he did not comply," Bodrey said. "During the confrontation, the subject was shot by the officers. EMS responded for medical treatment, but the subject was pronounced dead on-scene. No law enforcement officers were injured during the incident."
        The Statesboro Herald learned of the shooting around 11 p.m. Monday. According to sources, shots were exchanged, with a suspect "down," and a deputy called for assistance "10-18," a code meaning "quickly."
        The Bulloch County Sheriff's office then called for public radio traffic to be withheld for a short time while other deputies and officers responded to assist, the source said.
        Bulloch County Coroner Jake Futch said Tuesday he responded to the scene shortly after the incident, and pronounced the suspect dead. The body will be sent Wednesday morning for an autopsy at the GBI Crime Lab in Savannah, he said.
        According to news reports, several GBI agents and other law enforcement remained at the scene throughout the night as the investigation moved forward.
        "The GBI will conduct an independent investigation to determine what occurred during the incident," Bodrey said. "When the investigation is complete, it will be turned over to the Ogeechee District Attorney's Office for any action they deem appropriate."
        The Statesboro Herald will report any additional information as it becomes available. Check back with us at

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter