By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Family escapes burning Claxton home
Generic Fire

A family of seven escaped a fire early Monday morning caused by food left cooking, Evans County Fire Chief Andy Sikes said.

Evans County Fire and Rescue volunteers responded to the blaze on Johnson Street around 1:37 a.m. Monday, he said.
Someone had been cooking noodles and left the stove on, then fell asleep, he said.

A woman in the home shattered a window to escape and allow others to flee the burning home. She suffered minor injuries from breaking the window and received stitches for her wounds, he said. No other injuries were reported.

The home was 75 percent destroyed, with most of the damage to the kitchen, living room and laundry area. Fire walls protected the bedrooms, Sikes said.

Four adults and three children lived in the home. The family received help from the American Red Cross with immediate needs such as shelter, food and clothing, according to media reports.

 

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter