In the book "A History of Savannah and South Georgia. Volume 1: Sailing and Landing the Colony," written by William Harden in 1913, the story of the trials and tribulations of the first colonists selected to form the colony of Georgia is unveiled.
The trustees hired a galley, called "The Anne," whose capacity was only 200 tons, commanded by John Thomas to carry the first colonists. On Oct. 30, 1732, the "Gentleman's Magazine" announced the Anne's impending departure.
It listed the Anne's passengers as "thirty-five families...carpenters, bricklayers, farmers, etc., who take all proper instruments." The magazine added "The men were learning military discipline ... to carry musquets, bayonets, and swords, to defend the colony, in case of an attack from the Indians."
Amongst her cargo was 10n tons of "Alderman Parson's best beer" The ship's manifest stated that "it would take in at the Madeiras five tons of wine, "for the service of the colony."
After arriving off of Charleston on Jan. 13, 1733, James Oglethorpe met with South Carolina's governor. Oglethorpe obtained an order for the King's Pilot (Mr. Middleton) to sail the Anne to Port Royal, where "Barracks" awaited the new colonists.
Leaving the others in Port Royal, Oglethorpe set off for the Savannah River. On Jan. 30, the colonists were summoned to the site of the new colony. The colonists immediately erected four large tents, one for each "tything" (or group of 10 households) on the banks of the Savannah River.
On Feb. 9, 1733, Oglethorpe laid out the squares and streets of the new city. The first house to be built in Savannah (from clapboard, or split logs which overlapped each other) was begun that very day.
There were conditions set for land ownership in the new colony. The charter stated the colonists must be responsible for "paying for such Town Lott, Garden Lott, and Farm, containing together Fifty Acres...every year, the Rent or Sum of two Shillings of lawful Money of Great Britain."
The landowner must also "within the space of Eighteen Kalendar Months...erect one House of Brick or framed, square timber work, on their respective Town Lotts, containing at the least Twenty four feet in length, upon Sixteen in breadth, and eight feet in height."
One of the most curious requirements made of each new landowner was the stipulation they must "clear and cultivate Ten Acres of the said Land herein...plant or cause to be planted, One Hundred plants of the White Mulberry Tree... and sufficiently fence and preserve the same from the bite of Cattle."
According to Harden, one of Georgia's first counties was Bulloch, laid off in 1796. The county seat was Statesboro.
Harden wrote of the Bulloch Countians, "Religion and education go hand in hand with the good people who are to be congratulated upon the good work accomplished with the object in view of making the best citizens of the coming generation. The public buildings and stores of the place are evidence of the fact that the sturdy people of Statesborough are striving for the best in every way."