By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
On wounded knee
Placeholder Image
  Appalachian State quarterback Armanti Edwards is now 1-0 against Georgia Southern. That may be bad news for Eagle fans — the kid is just a true Freshman.
    Saturday at Paulson Stadium Edwards led his No. 1 Mountaineers to a 27-20 double-overtime win in front of a hostile homecoming crowd.
    "I don't know, at this point, if I've been around a guy like him," said ASU head coach Jerry Moore. "And I've been doing it along time."
    According to Moore, Edwards may have suffered MCL damage to his knee somewhere during the third quarter. Nevertheless, Edwards pushed through the pain to lead his team to their seventh straight win and 10th straight in the Southern Conference.
    "We knew it was going to be tough coming in," said Edwards, out of Greenwood, S.C. "We just had to execute our plays."
    The status of the electrifying QB's knee wasn't immediately known. All Edwards and Moore knew during the game was that Edwards could only run straight, but wasn't able to plant and make cuts.
    "It just says so much for him. He hasn't been through the winter program, he hasn't been through spring practice, he hasn't spent the whole summer up here with us. Our guys have great respect for him. Most of our players knew he was hurt in the third quarter. That just says tons for him."
    Edwards finished with 26 carries and 140 yards and a touchdown to go along with 11-21, 210 yards through the air with a TD and an interception.
    His resiliency to get up after the big hit even impressed the Eagle defenders.
    "He's a very tough quarterback," said GSU defensive back Dedrick Bynam. "A young quarterback but a very tough one."
    Bynam had the biggest hit on Edwards. Nearing the end of the first quarter, Edwards took off to the left on an option keeper. When he cutback, Bynam was waiting and laid a hit that delighted the folks in blue and white. The six-foot, 165-pound Edwards appeared to be rattled, as he fumbled on the very next play and threw an interception on the next possession.
    But the freshman stuck in there, most notably on third down, where he picked up six first downs. Five were on the ground and one through the air.
    Edwards touchdown run came at 8:22 in the third quarter. Scrambling up the middle for yardage, Edwards reached the goal line only to be rocked by two Eagle defenders. He coolly bounced off, keeping his feet, diving into the endzone.
    "You gotta change your game plan a little bit," said Eagle linebacker John Mohring. "The kid's a playmaker and he made some plays. We tried to keep someone on him all day, but occasionally he gets out."

    Chad Bishop can be reached at (912)-489-9404.