By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Falcons rookie cut amid allegations of sexual assault
falcons web
Torrey Green (46) and linebacker Sean Weatherspoon (56) work a drill during a June 29 Atlanta Falcons practice in Flowery Branch, Ga. - photo by Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY — The Atlanta Falcons cut rookie free agent linebacker Torrey Green on Thursday amid news that Utah law enforcement authorities were investigating allegations of sexual assault made against Green while he was a student at Utah State last year.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank said Green was cut Thursday morning after the team learned of the allegations the night before.

"We don't want anybody connected to the organization who has those kinds of accusations around them," Blank said.

No number was listed for Green to reach him for comment. Messages left with his agent Dominique Price were not returned.

The Cache County Attorney's Office is reviewing all the cases again after The Salt Lake Tribune reported the allegations in July, according to police in Logan, Utah.

Green was not named in the Tribune's story last month but he denied the allegations in a July interview with the paper and said "everyone makes mistakes."

"This isn't just Salt Lake, this isn't just Logan, this isn't just Utah, the whole U.S. is about to hear about something that's blown out of proportion basically and that's going to ruin a young man's career," Green told the Tribune in remarks published Thursday.

Logan Police Capt. Curtis Hooley said Thursday that his department investigated three separate allegations of sexual assault made by three women against Green in January and November of 2015. The three alleged incidents occurred off the campus but involved other students at Utah State in Logan.

Messages left with the county attorney's office were not returned.

Hooley said two cases were closed because there wasn't enough evidence to warrant charges.

A third case is still open while police investigate and speak to witnesses who were friends of the woman.

Green was interviewed by the police officer who investigated all three cases but was never arrested or charged with a crime, Hooley said.

Hooley said a fourth case was investigated by the nearby North Park Police Department.

North Park Police Chief Kim Hawkes confirmed Thursday that his department had a sexual assault case involving Green but declined to say whether the investigation was closed or what became of it.

He deferred all questions to the county attorney's office.

Green, who is from Rubidoux, California, graduated from Utah State this spring.

He signed a free agent contract with the Falcons in April.

Falcons coach Dan Quinn and general manager Thomas Dimitroff said Thursday that they felt Green faced an uphill battle to make the roster.

"He needed to go take care of his business, and we needed to do the best thing for the organization," Dimitroff said.