By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Willow Hill Center draws William James alums with new exhibit
W WH Fest - W James Exhibit
Dr. Alvin Jackson, Willow Hill Heritage and Renaissance Center president, discusses elements of the new William James High School History Room with Patricia Kirtsey and her mother Idella Tender, right, an alumna of the historic Willow Hill and William James schools. - photo by Special
One room of the historic Willow Hill School now preserves memorabilia of another of Bulloch County’s historic black schools and its namesake, Professor William James. It marks the latest step by the Willow Hill Heritage and Renaissance Center Inc. to turn the old school near Portal into not just a community center, but also a museum of the region’s African-American heritage. After opening in 2011 with a room dedicated to Willow Hill School’s own history from the school’s founding by former slaves in 1874, the center in 2012 transformed another classroom into an exhibit on black Primitive Baptist churches, complete with pulpit and pews.
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter