By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Statesboro Herald carrier critically injured Tuesday
Placeholder Image
    A Statesboro Herald newspaper carrier was critically injured early Tuesday in a single vehicle accident on P.W. Clifton Road near Leefield.
    Joshua Ingle, 36, Pless Clifton Road, was only five minutes away from his home when the accident occurred, said his sister Kelli Sefko, an independent subcontractor who also delivers the newspaper.
    Ingle left their home around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday to pick up his newspapers for delivery, she said.
    But just down the road, Ingle lost control of his 1997 Nissan pickup on a curve, and ran off the roadway, said Georgia State Patrol Trooper First-Class Marvin Welch.
    Ingle over corrected and left the roadway again on the other side, striking a culvert and overturning, he said.
    Ingle lay there in the wreckage for a couple of hours until Sefko, who had already passed his truck once, noticed the overturned vehicle while she was delivering papers on her own route.
    “He’s very lucky to be alive,” she said. It was foggy as well as dark, and she had not seen Ingle’s truck the first time she had passed it. When she passed by the second time, she noticed the truck overturned but did not recognize it as being Ingle’s until she recognized the Florida tag.
    By the time Welch received the call at 5:19 a.m. Tuesday, Ingle had been lying entrapped in the truck for almost two hours.
    Sefko said Ingle suffered a severe concussion, two breaks in his neck, three breaks in his spine, four ribs (two on each side, one of which pierced his lung and caused partial collapse), a broken collarbone and facial injuries that included a severely damaged ear and will require plastic surgery.
    The brother and sister live together, and Sefko called Ingle when she left to collect papers for her route, after he had already gone. She was concerned when he did not answer, but thought he was just busy, she said.
    When she found him, he was conscious and told her he was “OK, but didn’t know where he was or what happened,” she said.
    When EMS arrived, Ingle was taken to East Georgia Regional Medical Center, but was later transported to the Trauma Center at Memorial Health University Medical Center in Savannah, she said.
    Welch said Ingle will be charged with failure to maintain lane.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter