Two men severely burned around 8:45 a.m. Thursday morning after they tried to warm up against the freezing temperatures are being treated for "serious" burn injuries in Augusta, said Bulloch County Sheriff Lynn Anderson.
Willie Holloway, 53, Jessie Holloway Road, Portal, and Vernon Knight, 54, Mincey Street, Metter, were at Bulloch Concrete and Stone on Northside Drive West, trying to warm themselves up with a fire in a burn barrel, he said.
In a move to relieve themselves from the cold, one of the men poured a flammable liquid to the flames, he said. When the liquid met the flames, the fire exploded.
"The liquid caught fire rapidly and the fire spread to the victims," he said. "One of the witnesses acted to extinguish the flames on both victims while assistance was summoned."
The men were rushed by Bulloch County EMS to East Georgia Regional Medical Center, and then were transported to Augusta, he said.
There is no evidence of foul play and the incident was accidental, Anderson said.