By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Officials: Smoke inhalation the cause of deaths in Stilson fire
Autopsy results released
davis family

Four members of a Stilson family who lost their lives Wednesday in a house fire died from smoke inhalation, according to autopsy results.
Bulloch County Coroner Jake Futch said autopsies performed on Russell Davis, 56; Wendi Davis, 55; Susannah Davis, 19 and Haley Davis, 17, all of Stilson Road, revealed they all succumbed to smoke inhalation before the fire gutted their home around 4:50 a.m. Wednesday.
Bulloch County Public Safety Director Ted Wynn said a volunteer firefighter, on his way to work early Wednesday morning, noticed flames licking out of the windows, said Bulloch County Public Safety Director Ted Wynn.
Bulloch County Sheriff Lynn Anderson said deputies and members of several Bulloch County volunteer fire departments were dispatched to the Stilson Road home around 4:54 a.m.
“Upon entering the structure, fire crews discovered the four individuals deceased in the residence,” he said.
Futch said Wendi Davis and the two daughters were found in one room, while Russell Davis was found in his bedroom.
Four area volunteer fire departments responded, along with firefighters from the Statesboro Fire Department, said Bulloch County Fire Chief Randy Walker.
Anderson said sheriff’s investigators, as well as a crime scene technician, and Georgia State Fire Marshal Dan Meallor responded to investigate after the deaths were discovered.
“The victims were identified by family members “and were handed over to Futch for later transport to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Coastal Regional Crime Lab in Savannah for autopsy, he said.
“Investigators at this point are confident the deaths were the result of an accidental fire in the home,” he said. “No foul play is suspected.” Anderson added that he would like to express condolences to the Davis family and friends. Russell and Wendi Davis left behind four adult children who did not live in the Stilson home.
Mitch Madaglia, public information officer for Georgia Fire and Insurance Commissioner Ralph T. Hudgens, said the fire that gutted the 40-year-old structure started near the “rear center” of the home near a computer desk. Several electronic devices were located in the area, he said.
Holli Deal Bragg may be reached at (912) 489-9414.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter