• "Democrats don't want to be seen with President Obama, even though he has accomplished much of what they wanted", wrote editorialist Byron York.
• "GOP, TEA Party Off Target", wrote Donald W. Goebel Jr. on 9/25.
• Many opinions say that the current state of the economy is the president's fault and a new or different president will make it all better.
• Conflict burning like a wildfire consumes congress' capacity to make decisions for the good of us all.
• In-fighting among the GOP candidates leaves the scene looking more like a game show for someone to win.
The above call my attention to that great philosopher and theologian of the comic strips Pogo, "We have met the enemy and it is us!" ("... it is we" would be more grammatically correct). Even Mitt Romney indicated that the president cannot create jobs and then proposes that if elected president, he will create them; and if elected and the slowness of the economy expanding jobs persists another four years, the scapegoat-vengeance-making brain of humanity would turn against him also.
Even though external fights (whether war, political campaign, marital fight or playground fist fight) end, the internal conflict-fight continues on unaddressed, resulting in wars, political fights, marital fights, playground fist fights breaking out again and again, as in a century ago World War I was supposedly fought to make the world safe for democracy sowing seeds of dictatorship and World War II.
• With Prof. of Neuroscience, NY Univ., Dr. Joseph LeDoux presenting evidence concluding, "You are your synapses" - what we do and are result from how our brains wire-up,
• with neuroscientists Drs. Kuhl and Meltzoff indicating that our brains wire-up dependent upon the social connection to others,
• with neuroscientist Dr. James Thallon presenting evidence that a violence gene in the brain can turn off or on as a result of loving nurture or neglect/abuse during childhood,
• with developmental psychologist Dr. James W. Prescott presenting evidence that violence in the brain gets set up as a result of lack of touch-bonding after birth,
• with FMRI evidence showing the human brain lighting up in pleasure like July 4 fireworks when wreaking vengeance,
• with physicist Stephen Hawkings saying that the greatest threat to planet Earth is humanity,
I wonder what we humans are waiting on to begin actually doing what will result in responsibility for caring for each other and the whole planet, eliminating the motivation to see others as enemy, bringing us peace?