By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
It is time to repeal the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Amendments
Placeholder Image

Editor:
     The Woodrow Wilson Democrat administration pushed through two changes to our Constitution in 1913. These two amendments began our nation’s slide towards bigger and bigger government. Much of the economic crisis we find ourselves in today can be traced to these two changes to our Constitution. Both amendments must be repealed.
      The first change was the Sixteenth Amendment ratified February 3, 1913. It authorized Congress to lay and collect taxes on income. Woodrow Wilson and his Liberal (Socialist) Democrats sold this new tax by telling the American people it would only tax the income of the super rich. When you file your income taxes this year, remember you must be the super rich. Karl Marx author of the Communist Manifesto wrote, “My object in life is to dethrone God and destroy capitalism.”   He also stated in his Manifesto that a heavy progressive or graduated income tax was necessary for communism to take control of a country and destroy capitalism. The income tax has allowed the Socialists to grow the government until the people have now run out of money. This has been a 100-year process.
    The second change was the Seventeenth Amendment ratified April 8, 1913. It changed the way senators are elected. Article 1 Section 3 of the Constitution states, “The Senate of the U.S. shall be composed of two Senators from each State, Chosen by the Legislature, thereof, for six years.”  A senator protected the state from an over bearing Federal Government. The senator worked for the interest of the state not his political party.
     The Seventeenth Amendment changed this relationship. Senators now must campaign. They are directly elected by the people of the state. This changed the Republican form of government our Founding Fathers set up. It made it more a Democracy than a Republic. This is why liberal socialists attack the Electoral College.  Al Gore won the popular vote in 2000. In a pure Democracy, he would have been president. 
      Today, the Republicans would be the majority in the Senate if not for the Seventeenth Amendment. The Republicans control more State Legislatures from the November election.
      A Republic was the only form of government that could protect individual rights (the rights set forth in the Bill of Rights). The Federal Government was limited to protecting these rights. The Federal Government has no authority in the Constitution to grant any other rights without a Constitutional Amendment.
       The states can grant other rights, using the authority of the Tenth Amendment. The people in the state would pay for these extra rights. (services like health care, education). Each state could experiment in providing more government services, keep the ones that work, change them, or eliminate them. This is what is happening in Wisconsin, Ohio, Indiana, New Jersey and many other states.  Wisconsin’s experiment into government unions has bankrupted the state and the people are demanding it be changed or eliminated. That is what they voted for in November.
      Thomas Jefferson said, “Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51 percent of the people may take away the rights of the other 49 percent.” This is why our Founding Fathers set up a Constitutional Republic. State Legislatures voted for their senators and the members of the Electoral College that elect the president. Socialist Democrats want a “Democracy” form of government or as Jefferson said “Mob Rule.”. A Republic provides government by laws not the temporary whims of the mob.
      History has recorded that these two amendments are the root cause of what ails our nation. Repeal the Sixteenth Amendment authorizing the income tax. Replace it with the fair tax. Repeal the Seventeenth Amendment and go back to the original way of electing Senators in Article 1 Section 3.  We must return the nation to a Constitutional Republic that champions capitalism.
      P.S. Approximately  85 percent of Americans are now receiving benefits from Federal, state, and local government in jobs, retirement, business subsidies, welfare, Medicaid, Medicare, Social Security, disability payments, public schools, education grants, government earmarks, government loans and I could go on for three more pages. All of what I am listing here has happened since 1913 when these two Amendments became law. We are in this together. We all need to grab an oar and do our part to right the ship of state.
Tom McElwee
Brooklet

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter