By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Fire destroys Portal family's home
Placeholder Image
     A Portal family lost their home Thursday to a house fire possibly caused by a faulty surge protector. Portal Fire Chief Christopher Ivey said the fire originated in a child’s bedroom and the surge protector is likely the cause. However, the investigation is ongoing, he said.
    John Fields’ family lost almost everything in their Tru Fail Crossing home, he said. “The house is a total loss. They maybe can salvage some clothing and kids’ toys, some sentimental stuff, but there is a lot of damage.”
    Statesboro firefighters and Clito volunteer firefighters assisted the Portal Volunteer Fire Department in battling the blaze, which occurred around 3:30 p.m. Thursday, he said.
    The American Red Cross also responded to the scene and assisted the Fields family, which includes four children, ages 10 months, 6, 7, and 13.   Mary Ball, director of the Bulloch County Chapter of the American Red Cross, said the chapter provided the family with three nights lodging at  a local hotel as well as vouchers for clothing and food.
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter