Note: The following is the second in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some of these communities have since been cut into other counties.
The community of Adelaide was founded in the 1800s. The town was located about five miles north of Pulaski, the nearest depot on the Bruton and Pineora Railroad. The postmaster was Everette A. Hendrix.
Then there was Akin, a community shown on several maps to the north of Green and south of Jimps. This was not the same community as Akins, which is located at the intersection of Arcola Road and Mud Road. Josiah G. Williams and C.B. Johnson were the postmasters.
The next town was Alderman, which, not surprisingly, was established by the Alderman family, who had acquired some 7,000 acres along Wolfpen Branch near the headwaters of Lotts Creek. Apparently, the Alderman Plantation house was located halfway between Watersville and Brooklet on the Shearwood Railway line in the Sink Hole District.
Anderson Mill was a little-known community located on DeLoach Church Road at Anderson Pond, between Nevils-Groveland and Nevils-Daisy roads.
Another forgotten community was Anita, which was located southwest of Portal and northeast of Bloys. William M. Simmons was the postmaster.
Everyone knows where Arcola is, but few know its history. The first name given to the Arcola area was “The Briar Patch,” which was changed by American Revolutionary War compatriot Nicholas Anciaux. Anciaux was given 1,200 acres on Mill Creek and decided to rename his new home after the famous Battle of Arcola, which took place when Emperor Napoleon of France crushed the Austrian Empire’s forces in northern Italy in 1796.
The original Arcola store opened in 1877, and the postmaster was Samuel E. Groover. There have actually been two Arcolas, with the “old” and “new” Arcolas seven miles apart.
“New” Arcola had a population of 50 people in 1900. It is located 13 miles east of Statesboro. The McElveens set up a store and post office in their home, where the last postmaster was William L. McElveen.
Forgotten, however, is the community of Arcola Station. Two miles to the northeast of Arcola sat the short-lived Arcola Station, which was established alongside the Savannah & Statesboro Railway line.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at email@example.com.