Note: The following is the 16th in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.
The settlement of Haginsville was located north of Blackacre and southeast of Millray, or Mill Ray. All that is known about Haginsville is that according to the book written by Small, the postmasters there were James I.M. Drew and George M. Drew.
The bustling city of Halcyondale, also known as Halcyon Dale, was first very simply called Station #5. With the rise of business along the Central of Georgia's main railroad line, Halcyondale soon became a major depot.
According to local legend, the town was given its name by Halcyondale's famous poet-resident Cuyler Young. Young, it turns out, was the nom-de-guerre used by well-known Screven County attorney W.A. Young.
“Halcyondale” translates from Latin into the English “Idyllic Valley.” Ironically, Young is also credited by many with naming the city of Sylvania, whose name translates from Latin into the English “Forest Land.”
Sleepy little Harville was named for Samuel Harville. Harville, for those who don't know, was one of two delegates sent by the residents of Bulloch County to the 1861 Georgia Secession Convention in Milledgeville. Not surprisingly, he voted for Georgia to secede from the Union.
The town was located about 3 miles from the Bryan County line. The center of the Sink Hole community, Harville had a population of 111 in 1900, with a number of general stores, a school and several churches. It also had a post office, whose first postmaster was F.P. Lee.
The community of Herschal, which was also known as both Herschel and Herschell, was located 6 miles west of Jimps and 6 miles south of Parish. Herschal had a short-lived history, for the residents moved the entire community a little over 2 miles away and built the town of Register.
When it was the center of the area, Herschal contained three stores, three schools and two churches. The town's postmasters were storeowner John E. Collins and then Franklin Pierce Register.
It was Register who convinced residents to move the town, when he promised them the new town of Register would become the junction of both the Register and Glennville and the Bruton and Pineora railroads.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at email@example.com.