By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen - Railroad stops key to forming new towns
roger allen colorWeb
Roger Allen

    Note: The following is the 22nd in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.

    Located 5 miles south of Halcyondale and 9 miles northeast of Statesboro, this community was originally a stagecoach stop known as Mill Ray. The town became Millray when the second post office in Bulloch County was established at E.W. Hodges' store on Old River Road.
    The postmasters there were Hardy B. and William A. Hodges. Brevet Brig. Gen. Charles Robert Woods and Brevet Maj. Gen. John Major Corse stopped with their troops overnight in Millray on the afternoon of Dec. 4, 1864, while advancing toward Jencks Bridge and the city of Savannah.
    The Mitchell Forks community was located on Old Highway 67 several miles south of Denmark.
    Moore was located along the Shearwood Railway line, the first stop on the line heading from Brooklet to Leeland, the furthest point the railroad had reached toward Egypt in 1916.
    A village with a population of 94 in 1900, Myers was located alongside Iric Creek, 4 miles northeast of Pulaski, which was the nearest railroad station on the Dover to Dublin Branch of the Central of Georgia Railroad.
    Nellwood, a small hamlet, eventually transformed into the town of Brooklet and was located just south of the city of Brooklet's current location. Its postmasters were John E. Cromley and Robert M. Southwell.
    The Nevils post office was established in 1899. The first postmaster there was George P. Strange, and the second was John S. Nessmith (or NeSmith). After the post office closed in 1904, it reopened in 1920 with the arrival of the Shearwood Railway, whose line ended in Nevils.
    Jake Griner Nevils sold 174 acres to the Shearwood Railway for $1. Once the railway added passenger cars, local residents could ride the train from Nevils all the way to Tybrissa Pavilion on Tybee Island.
    The area's high school children attended Brooklet High School. John Nessmith's general store was bought by C.J. Martin, who expanded it to a two-story brick general store right across from the depot.
    Martin's store soon earned the reputation of being the “best-stocked general store in the Southeast.” Trains would carry truckloads of watermelons out to Northern markets and would bring in truckloads of guano to fertilize the fields.
    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter