Note: The following is the 12th in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.
Lyman Hall was born in Wallingford, Conn., April 12, 1724, the son of Connecticut Supreme Court Judge John Hall and Mary Street.
In 1747, Hall graduated from Yale College and entered the study of theology. After first wife Abigail Burr died he married Mary Osborne.
Shortly thereafter the Halls joined colonists leaving Dorchester, Mass., for the town they would name Dorchester, S.C.
Many of these settlers moved again, this time to the Midway District in Liberty County, Ga. Here Hall purchased a small plantation a few miles north of the Midway Meeting House.
Dr. Hall soon moved to what he thought was the healthier climate of Sunbury, where he soon became the leading physician of the town.
On March 21, 1775, Dr. Lyman Hall was elected to represent the people of St. John's Parish in the Continental Congress, the only district in Georgia to do so.
When he went to Philadelphia as a Congressman, he took 160 barrels of rice and $250 as a present to the people of Boston.
Once the Georgia convention finally voted to join Congress (July 15, 1775) and named five members to Congress, one of them was Lyman Hall.
Hall, Button Gwinnett and George Walton were the three Georgians who actually signed the Declaration of Independence on behalf of Georgia.
When the British troops seized command of Georgia, Dr. Hall's residence at Sunbury and his plantation near Midway were despoiled.
Moving to the north, Hall didn't return to Georgia until 1782, when he settled in Savannah. While he attempted to reverse his fortunes, Hall was elected governor of Georgia in January of 1783.
While he was governor, the Legislature both confiscated the property of those who had sided with England, and signed a treaty with the Creek and Cherokee Indians seizing most of their homelands.
Addressing the Georgia Legislature in Augusta on July 8, 1783, Hall urged the formation of "seminaries of learning," This led to the eventual establishment of Franklin College (which later became the University of Georgia.)
Settling into his plantation near Shell Bluff on the Savannah River, Hall died on October 19, 1790, he died at the age of 67, and was buried in a brick vault upon the bluff.
In 1848 his remains were moved to Augusta, where they were re-interred with those of George Walton beneath a special monument erected by the patriotic citizens of Augusta.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at email@example.com.