By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen - Leefield was a 'big' town in 1900 Bulloch
roger allen colorWeb
Roger Allen

    Note: The following is the 20th in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.

    All that is known about the town of Lanham is that according to the book written by Small, ITS post office was opened by William N. DeLoach, who first submitted the names Vadna and then Esther, both of which were rejected before the name of Lanham was approved.
    Laston, on the other hand, was an important business center, as it was the terminus of the Foy Railroad, which ran westward from Rocky Ford. Laston was located south of Bliss, east of Bloys, west of Fly and 11 miles from Statesboro. The postmasters there were William E. Parrish and James A. Brannen. The Beasly, Bird and Parish families all operated general stores.
    The burgeoning community of Leefield, which was also known as Leeland, was originally settled by Lawrence W. Lee, who had opened a store alongside the Midland Railway line. Lee first applied for the names Tomlee and then Leeland for his post office, but both names were rejected. His next suggestion, Leefield, was accepted.
    With a population of 44 in 1900, Leefield was located in the eastern part of Bulloch County, near the intersection of what were known at the time as the Savannah, Augusta and Northern Railway and the Shearwood Railway. The center of town is now located at the intersection of the Brooklet-Leefield and Stilson-Leefield roads.
    All that is known about the village of Lily is that according to the book written by Small, the postmaster there was Alonzo M. Newton. This community may have been located at Lily Branch, which is located several miles southeast of Dover.
    Other than being mentioned in several documents, little is known about the settlement of Lon, located due west of Adelaide. The J.D. Lanier sawmill operation was located there.
    The hamlet of Lucetta had a post office for a very short time, whose postmaster, according to the book written by Small, was Viola C. Adams. She then served as the postmaster of Olney, the post office that supplied the residents' mail once the Lucetta Post Office was closed.
    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter