By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen - Jimps, Josh, Keel rise in Bulloch Co.
roger allen colorWeb
Roger Allen

    Note: The following is the 19th in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.

    The community of Jay was located about 10 miles southwest of Shearwood, which was the nearest railroad station. All that is known about DeWitt is that according to the book written by Small, the postmaster there was Moses J. McElveen.
    Jerome was a community located southeast of Millray. All that is known about Jerome, according to the book written by Small, is that the postmasters there were Benjamin R. Sharpe and William F. Thompson.
    Bulloch County's town of Jimps was located 6 miles southwest of Statesboro on what was at that time known as the Dover & Dublin branch of the Central of Georgia Railroad line. In 1900, it had a post office and a population of 81.
    Jimps' namesake is sometimes debated, as some say it was named after its famous resident Jimmerson Kennedy, who served as its first postmaster. Others say it was named after local resident Jimps C. Olliff. Two other postmasters there were William B. Corey (or Corie) and Frank D. Olliff.
    One of Bulloch County's earliest churches was Jones' Church. Established in 1776 by Drury and Nancy Jones as the first Methodist Episcopal Society in Bulloch County, the church was relocated to the bank of Scull Creek in 1806 and renamed Mount Carmel Church in 1831. Around 1870, the church was moved to a new location and renamed, this time Payne's Chapel Church.
    The settlement of Josh was located to the southwest of Lon and was probably named after local resident Josh Deal.
    Keel was located between Statesboro and Pretoria Station on what used to be known as the Savannah and Statesboro Railway line. All that is known about Keel is that according to the book written by Small, the postmaster there was Keel W. Waters, for whom the town was named.
    Located due west of Esla, Ketus was named after Ketus Martin, the son of local resident John Redden. According to the book written by Small, the postmasters there were John Redden Martin and Adin B. Stansell.
    The railroad community of Kites Spur was a stop on the Savannah, Augusta, and Northern Railroad. Its remnants can now be found to the west of Portal, just north of Highway 80 on Chipper Road.
           
    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter