Note: The following is the 18th in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.
Also known as Woodburn Station, the town of Hubert was located between Stilson and Eldora at the end of what was then the Cuyler and Woodburn Railroad line. In 1900, it was reported to have a population of 108. The postmasters there were R. Whitfield Jones and Peter S. Richardson.
Iric, which was known to some as Eric, was a small village located about 6 1/2 miles west of Ivanhoe. At that time, it was the nearest railroad station. The population there in 1900 was 42.
Thought by many to be named for the Iric Branch (earlier referred to as Iric Creek), Iric was actually given its name by early settler Adam Eirick, who had received a British Crown Grant of 500 acres on the north side of Black Creek after being denied a similar request for land at Eatton's Gardens.
When Eirick moved here, the frontier lay right on his doorstep, as it sat astride the Indian boundary just established in the Treaty of Augusta in 1763. John F. Brannen’s home became the site of its first post office, where Brannen and John B. Thorne were postmasters.
In 1910, D.N. Bacot, the superintendent of the Savannah and Statesboro Railroad, proposed digging a 2 1/2 mile long canal from Arcola that dumped into Iric Branch, thus draining 8,000 acres of swampy land, which would then be converted to truck farming. Little is known what became of his idea.
Iric Station, on the other hand, was a stop on the Savannah and Statesboro Railroad and sat between Shearwood and Stilson, several miles northeast of Iric.
Part of what was at first called “The Briar Patch,” the village of Ivanhoe was located 24 miles southeast of Statesboro. Ivanhoe was one of the first stagecoach stops in the county and later became a stop on the Cuyler and Woodburn Railroad line.
The town was given its name by famous Georgia and local resident William Cone, who came from North Carolina and settled here, establishing the very successful Ivanhoe Plantation. Cone, a great fan of classical literature, chose to name his plantation after Walter Scott’s book “Ivanhoe.”
Initially, it is recorded that Cone thought of naming it after Henry Ward Beecher’s novel “Norwood,” which was about life on the Connecticut River in New England. The postmasters here were William A. and Clisby H. Cone.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at firstname.lastname@example.org.