Note: The following is the 10th in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.
Named after Emit Anderson, who was the first postmaster and who later became Statesboro's postmaster, the town of Emit was considered seriously as the location of the new county seat after the Shearwood Railway passed through town.
The post office was located in Emit Anderson's home. Unfortunately for Emit, a group of wealthy and influential citizens pushed for Statesboro to become Bulloch County's seat instead. Lee Hagan's store was the center of the Emit community.
The postmaster of Sink, John J. Lane, submitted the name for Enal's new post office. A village with a population of 56 in 1900, it sat in the Lotts Creek valley, about 12 miles south of Statesboro. It turns out that the word Enal came from spelling Lane's name backward. The other postmaster was Brooks Simmons.
The village of Endicott was located at the northernmost tip of Bulloch County between the borders of Screven and Emanuel counties, northwest of Echo and northeast of Bliss.
Equip was a settlement in Bulloch County that is listed in Marion Hemperley's book “Cities, Towns, and Communities.” About this community little else is known.
Esla was located on the border between Bulloch and Bryan counties, halfway from Daisy to Ivanhoe and 16 miles south of Statesboro. It had a population of 41 in 1900. William H. Hughes was the first postmaster there. Some say the town may have been named for his son, Elias Hughes, who became the second postmaster.
All that is known about Essielee is that, according to the book “The Post Offices of Georgia, 1764-1900,” the postmaster there was Annie Beasley.
Also spelled Uphaupee, the community of Euphaupee was located on the Seaboard Air Line Railway. The Euphaupee post office opened after the Fido post office closed down in 1889 and was replaced by the Belknap post office, which opened shortly thereafter. Not actually in Bulloch County, it was often considered to be in the county, anyway because of its proximity to the county line.
Located halfway between Millray and Blitch, Eureka had a general store owned by James H. Brown. S.G. Stewart also operated a general store there. According to historical documents, the first name for this community was Zoar, which is sometimes referred to as “Old Eureka.” Its first postmaster was H.G. Hodges, and its last was James N. Brown.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at firstname.lastname@example.org.