By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen - Candler 'steals' Metter from Bulloch
roger allen colorWeb
Roger Allen

    Note: The following is the 21st in a series of columns that will describe towns and communities, past and present, that were settled after Bulloch County was first settled. Some have since been cut into other counties.

    Little-known Ludovic sat 5 miles north of Arcola, which was the nearest railroad station on the Savannah and Statesboro Railway. Some documents indicate Ludovic's residents became part of the community of Rufus.
    The booming town of Metter was incorporated by act of the Georgia legislature on Aug. 17, 1903, inside what were then the boundaries of Bulloch County. The first businesses in town were the general stores of Benjamin Parrish and W.L. Jones and the supply store of L.D. Roundtree.
    The town sat on what used to be the Central of Georgia Dover to Dublin or Oconee Branch railroad line, about 12 miles east of Stillmore. In 1900, Metter reported a population of 400, at which time there was some talk of creating a post office somewhere between the towns of Excelsior and Swainsboro.
    There is a long-standing tale that a railroad official named the town by saying that’s where he “met her,” referring to his future wife. Apparently, however, that is not correct.
    Around the turn of the century, Dr. Daniel Kennedy, whose family owned the Tatum Hotel there, submitted two names to the government for a post office: Metter and Leonard. The government chose Metter.
    Most of the land was owned by James Terrell Trapnell, who is credited by most area historians as having laid out the basic city plan in 1899.
    Metter had two large sawmills, one run by the F.H. Perkins Company and the other by the Sheridan and Perkins Company.
    When it came to creating Candler County (first proposed on July 14, 1914), Metter was chosen to be the county seat. As Metter had a tax value at that time of $2,729,000, there was some serious unhappiness about the loss of such a valuable part of Bulloch County.
    Mill Creek, as it was known, sat on what was originally known as Belchers (or Belcher's Mill) Creek. The name Belcher was dropped, and the town became known as Mill Creek. It was located halfway north of Grimshaw and east of Statesboro. It was also a stop on the Midland Railway line into Effingham County.
           
    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at rwasr1953@gmail.com.

Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter