Bulloch County was formed in 1796 as Georgia's 21st county and was named after Archibald Bulloch. The new county first encompassed more than 800 square miles of pine trees and fields of sandy soil.
Now, some 217 years later, Bulloch County encompasses an area of 682 square miles. The remaining lands were cut off into the new counties of Candler, Emanuel, Evans and Jenkins.
Archibald Bulloch was born in Charleston, S.C., in 1730. He practiced law in South Carolina until his family relocated to Georgia in 1775. Eight years later, he married Mary, the daughter of Judge James De Veaux.
Bulloch soon assumed the leadership of Savannah's Liberty Party. After being elected to the Georgia Commons House of Assembly in 1768, he signed the call-to-action for rebels to meet at Peter Tondee's Tavern in Savannah in 1774.
When the first Provincial Congress of Georgia assembled at the tavern, they immediately elected Bulloch to be their new president. They then elected him to the new American Continental Congress.
As his skills soon became obvious there, he was appointed to the Congress' "Secret Committee" on Nov. 7, 1775, which was charged with acquiring gunpowder, arms and ammunition for the coming revolution.
Bulloch served in several of the most important battles between the British and the Colonials, including the Battle of the Rice Boats and the Battle of Tybee Island, in which the British were handed major losses of men and equipment.
Not surprisingly, Bulloch became president and commander of the new state of Georgia's provisional government on June 20, 1776. As the situation deteriorated, he assumed "Executive Powers of Government" on Feb. 22, 1777.
Unfortunately, upon returning to Savannah, Bulloch suspiciously died three days later. Many rumors circulated that he had been poisoned by a British spy, fearing Bulloch's skill in leading the colonists in battle.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. He provides a brief look at the area's historical past. Email Roger at email@example.com.