A 7-year-old boy was airlifted to a burn center in Augusta Monday afternoon after he was burned while playing with gasoline.
Bulloch County Public Safety Director Ted Wynn confirmed the boy suffered second and third degree burns on his thighs, buttocks and calf.
"The boy had a four-gallon container and some sort of ignition source," he said.
Bulloch County Sheriff's Inv. Jason Long said the child was playing unsupervised with two other juveniles. One child poured the gasoline inside a tractor tire rim and when the victim set it on fire, "it flashed over on him," he said.
The incident occurred on Wilson Wise Road. The Air Evac helicopter landed in a field near the accident site after Bulloch County EMS and other first responders arrived at the scene and administered first aid until the helicopter could land.
The Statesboro and Register fire departments also responded and extinguished the small fire, according to information dispatched over radio airwaves.
The accident occurred around 4:30 p.m., and Air Evac landed around 5:14 p.m. to transport the boy.
Long said the children were imitating how they had seen adults start fires with gasoline.
He said the child was stable and "was not even crying when I got there."
However, the injuries are serious, Wynn said. "Any time you have second and third degree burns, it's very critical. There is the risk of infection."
Holli Deal Bragg may be reached at 912-489-9414.