Note: The following is part of a series of columns looking at points of interest throughout the history of Bulloch County.
Young's Toll Bridge
This bridge was (apparently) built on land granted to William Young in 1784. Young was a member of the Council of Safety appointed in Savannah on June 22, 1775, and on the 4th of July Young represented the district of Savannah at the Provincial Congress. He moved to Screven County, where he lived on a hill overlooking the Ogeechee River valley. Records show the bridge existed and was being operated by the same family in 1836. Documents show that their neighbors, the McCalls, operated what they called McCall's Bridge for a while. It crossed the Ogeechee River just north of the Bryan and Effingham County borders. It is unknown, but is possible, that the two bridges were actually one and the same bridge.
Located at Fort Argyle in 1835, the state legislature approved the petition of Benjamin S. Wauldin (sic) to operate a ferry at Fort Argyle. The cost for passage: “for each foot passenger, 6 and a quarter cents; for each horse and rider, 12 and a half cents; for each gig and sulky, 25 cents; for every cart and horse, 12 and a half cents; for each cart and two horses, 18 and three-fourths cents; for every wagon and team, 50 cents; for every four-wheel pleasure carriage, 50 cents; for every stage, or carriage of like description, 75 cents; for every two-horse wagon, 37 and a half cents; for every four-wheel wagon, drawn by one horse, 18 and three quarter cents; for each horse or mule, six and a quarter cents; for every head of neat or stock cattle, 2 cents; for every head of hogs or sheep, 1 cent.
Located on the Canoochee River in 1830, it is mentioned in the earliest histories of Georgia.
Wright's Toll Bridge
This bridge crossed the Ogeechee River some 3 miles north of Jencks Bridge. The bridge was built by William Wright of Chatham County, who also operated a fish trap in the river here.
Records show two special relationships existed: in one, Aaron Cone and John Grimes of Bulloch County had an agreement with Wright in which he agreed to “free passage and free egress and use being granted to us forever” over the bridge and across his land; while in the other, Alexander J. Habersham and John B. Watts had the right to “take as many fish as is necessary and proper for family use.”
The postmaster in the community which grew up around the bridge was Isaiah Hart. According to Maj. Upton of the 46th Ohio Infantry, during Sherman's “March to the Sea” his forces (acting as a rear-guard) were commanded by Col. Williamson of the Fifteenth Army Corps to destroy Wright's Bridge after crossing it on Dec. 7, 1864 to prevent the enemy from using it.
Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look each week at the area's past. E-mail Roger at firstname.lastname@example.org.