The Twin City Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on Feb. 8.
The nomination was sponsored by the city of Twin City. Nomination materials were compiled by Eileen Dudley, a resident of Twin City. The nomination was listed in the National Register at the local level of significance as an excellent example of a railroad strip-type community in Georgia.
The small town of Summit in Emanuel County began circa 1889 with the charter and then construction of the Rogers & Summit Railroad (later the Millen & Southwestern Railroad) and the town charter in 1898. The town of Graymont, established in 1896 and chartered in 1900, was located 1 mile from Summit and had its own depot and post office.
The two small towns of Summit and Graymont were incorporated into one town called Twin City in 1921 by an act of the Georgia Legislature. The towns, however, maintained separate post offices until 1952.
Twin City Historic District is important for its excellent examples of historic residential, commercial and community landmark buildings representing the common architectural types and styles found throughout Georgia in the late 19th through the mid-20th centuries. The two historic central business districts represent the typical stores and businesses found in small rural communities in Georgia. In addition, both Summit and Graymont are excellent examples of a railroad strip-type town in Georgia, with the main street running parallel to the railroad through the center of town.
Twin City is located in eastern Emanuel County, approximately 12 miles east of Swainsboro, the county seat. The district encompasses historic residential, commercial and community landmark resources associated with the development of two towns that were incorporated as one.
The northeast part of the district is the historic commercial and residential area of Summit, and the southwest part of the district is the historic commercial and residential area of Graymont. Located between the two towns at the intersection of Railroad Avenue and U.S. Highway 80 is the area established in the early 1900s as the “civic center.” Historic community landmark buildings in this area include the 1927 Twin City Methodist Church, circa 1900 jail/former city hall, 1949 First Baptist Church, circa 1900 Church of Christ, 1907 Baptist Rest Primitive Baptist Church, 1934 Adam Brinson Chapter DAR building, 1945 Boy Scout hut, 1954 Emanuel County Institute campus and 1937 water tower. The historic houses in the district date from the late 19th century through the mid-20th century. Architectural styles include Queen Anne, Folk Victorian, Craftsman and Colonial Revival. House types include Queen Anne cottage, New South cottage, Georgian cottage, Georgian house, gabled-wing cottage, bungalow, central hall and ranch house. Commercial buildings in the district are generally one- and two-story attached and freestanding brick or frame buildings constructed at the turn of the 20th century.
The National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects and districts worthy of preservation. The National Register provides formal recognition of a property's architectural, historical or archaeological significance. It also identifies historic properties for planning purposes and ensures that these properties will be considered in the planning of state or federally assisted projects. National Register listing encourages preservation of historic properties through public awareness, federal and state tax incentives and grants. Listing in the National Register does not place obligations or restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer or disposition of private property.