Note: The following is one of a series of articles looking at events in the history of Bulloch County.
The Bulloch Times-Statesboro News-Statesboro Eagle of Sept. 24, 1931 revealed a new bus service with “a handsome motor bus with passenger, baggage, and express service sufficient for the (area’s) needs.”
Arranged by the S&S railroad, the 10-seater bus "service is already proving popular, nine persons having availed (ridden the bus) over the road last Saturday.”
The Bulloch Times-Statesboro News-Statesboro Eagle issue of Aug. 18, 1932 revealed that the Hood Coach Lines had now established a three-buses-a-day service between Macon and Savannah.
The Hood Coach Lines purchased the Montford Bus Lines, and then sold its routes to the Consolidate Coach and Union Bus lines. Eventually, all of these lines merged to become Southeastern Greyhound Lines.
West-bound buses stopped in Statesboro at 9:40 a.m., 2:35 p.m., and 7:30 p.m., and east-bound buses stopped in Statesboro at 1:55 p.m., 5:05 p.m., and 10:10 p.m.
These Savannah to Macon buses also stopped at Ogeechee River, Blitchton, Stilson Road, Brooklet, Portal, Graymont, Swainsboro, Adrian, Scott and Dublin.
The Bulloch Times-Statesboro News-Statesboro Eagle issue of April 27, 1933 announced they would run two buses a day each way: westbound at 2:45 and 9 p.m., and eastbound at 8:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. from Statesboro.
The Bulloch Times-Statesboro News-Statesboro Eagle issue of Jan. 4, 1934 paper listed one-way and round-trip fares: Savannah, $1.65/$3; Macon, $5.00/$6.30; Atlanta, $5/$9.
On Sept. 27, 1934, the Bulloch Times-Statesboro News-Statesboro Eagle revealed another new bus service, “Operated by the Central of Georgia Railroad on its Oconee Branch."
Buses left Statesboro, stopped in Millen, and arrived in Augusta. The return bus left Augusta, stopped in Millen, and arrived in Statesboro, connecting with the Central’s trains to Atlanta and Savannah.
The same paper reminded everyone there had been no train service out of Statesboro that connected with any of the Central of Georgia trains, requiring passengers to drive to Dover to catch their trains.
The new bus schedule revealed the bus would also carry mail between Statesboro and Millen, taking the place of the local bus service now operated between Statesboro and Dover.
On Dec. 14, 1961, the Bulloch Times announced a new Trailways Bus Lines service through Statesboro. The cost of “One-Way” tickets from Statesboro to Florida destinations were as follows.
Tickets to Miami on one of three thru-trips buses on a 13½ hour ride cost $13.05; or to St. Petersburg on a thru-service bus on a 9¾ hours ride cost $10.55.
Tickets all the way to New York on a thru-express trip cost $26.85. Statesboro’s Trailway's Bus Station was located at the corner of Oak and Courtland Streets.
The Bulloch Times-Statesboro News-Statesboro Eagle issue of March 25, 1937 revealed the Trailways Bus Station had previously been G.P. Pearson's filling station and eating house.
Then, the Bulloch Herald issue of April 30, 1937 announced “Work Begins on New Bus Station to be built by Sam J. Franklin and Southeastern Greyhound Lines.”
The paper declared this modern new bus would bus passengers an easy way to get into or out of the building. It will include “white and colored waiting rooms,” a kitchen and lunch room, a filling station, and more.
Meanwhile, all buses would stop at the Ellis’ Drug Store on North Main Street. Then, the May 28 Bulloch Herald reported that buses were now stopping at the Preetorius Building.
On July 2, 1937, the Bulloch Herald reported Mr. D.L. Moore, District Passenger Agent for Southeastern Greyhound Lines, had opened the new bus station.
It listed “Extra Vacation Days at These Low Fares.” New lower summer-time destination fares were: to Savannah (.95/$1.75); to Savannah Beach ($1.70/$2.50); to Brunswick ($2.35/$4.25); and to Macon ($2.20/$4.00).
Long-distance trips cost: to Atlanta ($3.40/$6.15); to Charleston ($3.95/$7.15); to Chattanooga ($3.95/$7.15); to Daytona ($5.15/$9.30); to Asheville ($6.65/$12.00); and to Miami ($7.95/$14.00).
Roger Allen is a local lover of history who provides a brief look each week at the area's past. Email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.