By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History with Roger Allen
Bulloch paper history Part 2
Placeholder Image
    In 1894, the Reverend B. J. Bridges began the first of two Negro religious papers, The Evangelist. He then either replaced this paper with (or added another), The Advocate, in 1895. In 1894, the Reverend Scarborough started another paper, in Zoar this time, named The Zoar Banner, which he then soon renamed The Zoar Blade. In 1896, Reverend Harmon Hodges, with the financial support of Colonel Robert Lee Moore, started a Populist Party newspaper named The Silver Dollar.
    In 1897, the Turners decided to call it quits, and sold The Bulloch Times to T.A. MacGregor, who shortly thereafter suspended publication of the paper. In 1901, Editor James Miller decided to rename The Statesboro Star to be The Statesboro News, but then soon suspends publication. The Turners, at this time, started printing The Bulloch Herald, which for the next four years will be Bulloch County’s only local newspaper.
    In 1905 D.B. Turner decides to restart The Bulloch Times. With the financial support of 26 other stockholders, he buys new printing presses, and sets up an office at the corner of Olliff and West Main. In 1914, The Statesboro News suspends publication, and is sold at public auction to Miller in 1915. He begins publishing The Statesboro News, which is then combined with The Bulloch Times, which he sells to the Turners in 1917.
    In 1917, the Turners also buy the rights to The Statesboro Star, merging it with The Statesboro News and The Bulloch Times into one paper. In 1920, James and Frank Miller buy the rights to The Statesboro Eagle, and add it to The Bulloch Times and The Statesboro News, which they also bought in 1920.
    They immediately combine all papers into one: The Bulloch Times. Then, another player enters the scene. In 1920, J. Shields Kenan, owner of the Kenan Publishing Company, buys The Bulloch Times, and moves it to his own shop at the Kenan Printing Company. The students at Georgia Normal School, meanwhile, begin their first publication, named Station GNS in 1924.
    This is replaced by The Reflector in 1926, which in turn is replaced in 1927 by their third paper, The George-Anne. The George-Anne is now the longest running newspaper in Bulloch County. In 1937, the Primitive Baptist Association began publication of the Association’s own newspaper, The Banner-Herald.
    Editor William J. Crouse of Statesboro had the paper printed at the Gilbert Printing Company of Columbus, Georgia at first, and then switched to Columbia Office Supply Company in Columbia, South Carolina. Eventually, the paper was moved to, and printed at, Birdwood College, a Primitive Baptist College.
    On March 26, 1937, the Coleman family started publication of The Bulloch Herald. Leodel Coleman was the Editor, G.C. Jr. was the Associate Editor, and Jim was the Advertising Director. The first three issues of the paper were printed at The Swainsboro Forest Blade and the fourth edition was printed by The Vidalia Advance.
    In 1939, the Colemans bought The Banner Publishing Company, and moved the newspaper to the Banner Building in Statesboro. In 1942, The Bulloch Herald suspended publication for the duration of World War Two, as all three Colemans signed up: Leodel became a Marine Corps Combat Correspondent; Jim joined the Air Force; and G.C. Jr. became an Army Paratrooper. The Bulloch Herald, which has since become The Statesboro Herald, was restarted in 1946 by the Colemans, with the first post-war issue being printed once all three had returned safely from the war.

Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look at Bulloch County's historical past. E-mail Roger at roger
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter