By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Bulloch History by Roger Allen
When Clito had a paper
Placeholder Image
    Many of the places that people live in Bulloch County today have their own rather curious histories of exactly how they got founded and why. One such example is Aaron, located 14 miles northwest of Statesboro. While there is a popular myth it’s named after the brother of Moses, the truth is much simpler: it was settled by Hubert Aaron and is named for that family.
    Another little spot with a tale to tell is Arcola, 12 miles southeast of Statesboro. The first name given this spot was Briar Patch. When American Revolutionary War compatriot Nicholas Anciaux settled here, he decided to name his new home after the famous Battle of Arcola, which took place when Emperor Napoleon crushed the Austrian Empire’s forces in Northern Italy in 1796.
    Clito, five miles northeast of Statesboro, was a depot stop on both the Central of Georgia Railroad tracks and on the Fulford Bus Company’s route between Dover and Statesboro. It had stores owned by Talon and McDougald and Outland and Woodcock, as well as a grist mill and turpentine still. It even had its own little newspaper, the Clito Clippings.
    Hercschell had a very short reign over its residents, before Franklin Register sort of moved the town and renamed it after himself in 1894. It sat on the Dover to Dublin mainline of the Central of Georgia Railroad, and also was the terminus of the W.C. Perkins lumber railroad around 1890. In 1902 the Perkins family started an actual passenger and freight business with their Register and Glennville Railroad (R&G).
    Iric, thought by many to be named for the nearby Iric Branch (earlier referred to as Iric Creek) was actually named by Adam Eirick, who received a British Crown Grant of 500 acres situated alongside Black Creek. John F. Brannen’s home became the site of its first Post Office. It sits six and one-half miles west of Ivanhoe.
    Speaking of Ivanhoe, this little spot was named by William Cone, who came from North Carolina and settled here, establishing the very successful Ivanhoe Plantation. Cone, a great fan of classical literature, chose to name his dwelling in honor of Walter Scott’s book “Ivanhoe,” after considering naming it after Henry Ward Beecher’s novel Norwood, which was about life on the Connecticut River in New England.
    Portal came into being once the Denmark family settled in the area. Actually that spot would now be called Old Portal, when all activity centered around D.C. Finch’s store. The entire town was moved (more or less) to a new site when the Savannah, Augusta and Northern Railroad passed through the area in order that it could establish a railroad depot on the line.
    Finally, Proctor came into being when Henry J. Proctor set up this little spot’s first Post Office in his house. There was the Fellowship Baptist Church established in this area in 1844, which became known as the Old Fellowship Church once the Primitive Baptist Church (or the New Fellowship Church) was established some two miles away. Don’t confuse Proctor with Proctoria, however, for while Proctor was near Ivanhoe, Proctoria sat just above Brooklet on the Savannah and Statesboro Railroad line.

    Roger Allen is a local lover of history. Allen provides a brief look at Bulloch County's historical past. E-mail Roger at
Sign up for the Herald's free e-newsletter